Getting to the start (L.E.).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm still of a mind to have an attempt at completing my jigsaw puzzle style LEJOG ride. I know it's not really in the spirit of things to complete it over a period of 3 years, and in sections, but I don't really care much for such things and the thought of spending an extra week covering old ground doesn't appeal much. The remaining section is more than enough, Land's End to Carlisle.

The purpose of the post is regarding the logistics of getting to LE..
A single train journey from Ayrshire to Penzance is £266. Due to high demand at present, there are no cheap tickets on offer. Another problem is that the journey involves at least 3 changes, sometimes as many as 5. With a loaded bike this doesn't appeal at all, especially as some connection times are tight. 10 mins at Crewe, assuming trains running to time? Too much stress for me. Trying to find a bike reservation covering 3 or 4 different trains has also proved to be nigh on impossible.

I have looked at one way car rental, but it is coming in around £200, plus petrol obviously, bringing it over the train cost. Plus the hassle of the actual driving experience on our wonderful motorways.

Could fly Glasgow to Exeter for about £100. Downside is putting an essential piece of equipment for the trip into the hands of 2 sets of baggage handlers. Then I still need to get the train from Exeter to Penzance.

National Express is much cheaper but an endurance test involving overnight bus Glasgow to Birmingham; morning bus to Plymouth; afternoon bus to Penzance. Would be an almost 24 hour journey. Then there's the small print re carriage of bikes, which is vague. Basically at driver's discretion if there is space for it. So relying on the discretion of drivers x 3.

The one possibility I am now looking at is going via London. I can get a single to London for about £80, and plenty trains with bike reservation available. Can then get a Travelodge in central London, they are for some reason going reasonably cheap just now. Then train to Penzance the following day for about £75, again found it easy enough to get trains with available bike spaces.

I might have to do this before the English school holidays get under way. Isn't that usually the second week of July?
Right, I'm off to check the weather for late June/early July. Oh, and better get my ever increasing belly up a hill or two sometime soon!

When we did LE to St Austell (hardly anyone actually does LE to JoG ;)) we hired a car and saved a fortune on the trains and avoided the worry of 'will I make it'. Trains from the end of a line or with big layovers are OK as you can be pretty sure the bike space being available, unlike in the middle of a train's route with a 2 minute stop and a stressed guard saying get the next one and squiggling something on your ticket.
I was actually surprised when I realised that 1/2 of LEJoG is Scotland.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Crazy Train prices. I'd probably wait until the pandemic is over and hopefully things will be more normal and cheaper than that.
It's not much better in "normal" times, IME.. So much for trying to encourage us to use public transport :rolleyes:.

Any time I have gone cycling in France, it has worked out much cheaper (and more convenient) to drive the 450+ miles each way to Portsmouth and pay for parking while I'm away. That's going solo; for a family of 4 using the train just makes no sense.

Last edited:
I've only experience of traveling to London or Edinburgh on the train and it wasn't too bad booked in advance with a Railcard. Granted European trains are cheaper but that price is ridiculous.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When we did LE to St Austell (hardly anyone actually does LE to JoG ;)) we hired a car and saved a fortune on the trains and avoided the worry of 'will I make it'. Trains from the end of a line or with big layovers are OK as you can be pretty sure the bike space being available, unlike in the middle of a train's route with a 2 minute stop and a stressed guard saying get the next one and squiggling something on your ticket.
Yes.. I was thinking that when I was on about 500 miles when I reached Gretna Green!

Ajax Bay

Guru
You were right to be surprised. It isn't. Depending on routes Gretna is 800km by a sensible (no excursions) route) and the Scottish section is a little over 600km (bit more if you sensibly go via Arran and Mull).
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31764424

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Cheapest will be some split ticket weird route. Simplest is into London then out again.

You can get rail sail tickets which are often very cheap. Might be worth looking at and don’t do the sail bit.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I do sympathise Brandane. The more complicated travel this year was one of the many reasons I've had to postpone for a year (training curtailed by 6 weeks by a family operation and my helping their recovery was another one).
The booking system for bikes on trains seems to have been shot this year too, Scotrail just weren't taking cycle bookings from Wick to Inverness when I tried, and there were few to no spaces down to Penzance even on the day they became available. I had a plan B of a hire car to LE but it was all getting expensive and then Mother in Law had her knee replaced, and that was that for 2021!
Best of luck with your plans. :okay:

Top Bottom