Getting to the start (L.E.).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have now moved on to checking out the situation regarding overnight accommodation. It's making the travel arrangements look like a picnic.
I would be planning on mostly camping to keep within budget, and also because booking rooms in advance then turns the trip into too much of a fixed plan for my liking. It seems that even camping is going to be challenging to say the least, especially in Devon and Cornwall. Random sites I have looked at have zero availability for the next 2 weeks. As we get into the height of the holiday season, this will probably get worse rather than better. I am rapidly thinking better of this plan! I have horrible but realistic visions of riding a fully laden touring bike up and down the hills of Devon and Cornwall, then being unable to find a decent camping pitch. Wild camping? OK for an odd night, but only as a last resort. I'm approaching 60, not 16, and like a shower and toilet at least! 😄

slow scot

Veteran
I have now moved on to checking out the situation regarding overnight accommodation. It's making the travel arrangements look like a picnic.
I would be planning on mostly camping to keep within budget, and also because booking rooms in advance then turns the trip into too much of a fixed plan for my liking. It seems that even camping is going to be challenging to say the least, especially in Devon and Cornwall. Random sites I have looked at have zero availability for the next 2 weeks. As we get into the height of the holiday season, this will probably get worse rather than better. I am rapidly thinking better of this plan! I have horrible but realistic visions of riding a fully laden touring bike up and down the hills of Devon and Cornwall, then being unable to find a decent camping pitch. Wild camping? OK for an odd night, but only as a last resort. I'm approaching 60, not 16, and like a shower and toilet at least! 😄
I got caught out with full campsites in Cornwall and Devon in July a few years ago. This year will be worse I feel.
With regard to getting down to Penzance I think there is a way. When I went down there from Aberdeen I used Cross Country Trains which go direct to Penzance with no changes. It should be easy for you to get to Edinburgh and pick the train up there. It leaves Aberdeen at about 8am so should be in Edinburgh at about 10.30am.
Its a long journey and arrives too late to cycle anywhere; about 10pm I think.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I got caught out with full campsites in Cornwall and Devon in July a few years ago. This year will be worse I feel.
With regard to getting down to Penzance I think there is a way. When I went down there from Aberdeen I used Cross Country Trains which go direct to Penzance with no changes. It should be easy for you to get to Edinburgh and pick the train up there. It leaves Aberdeen at about 8am so should be in Edinburgh at about 10.30am.
Its a long journey and arrives too late to cycle anywhere; about 10pm I think.
Thanks for your suggestion re the train from Edinburgh, but I think there is also a Cross Country train which originates in Glasgow and wanders it's way to Edinburgh then down the east coast and eventually zig-zags it's way to Penzance, arriving late at night. Either way, it is still stupidly expensive. The least bad option is still via London IMHO, but taking all things into account, I don't think this trip is a good idea this year. Particularly as I don't think we're anywhere near out of the woods with regards to Covid and associated travel restrictions. It could all kick off again at any time - case in point being Sturgeon trying to ban travel to/from Manchester just now.

Edit to add... For "trying to ban", read "has banned"!
BBC News - Covid: Manchester-Scotland travel ban comes into force
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57551236

Last edited:
Top Bottom