Getting behind with housework when your single :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Good Morning,
Hope your all well :-)
I don't know if anybody else is single here and work full time ,but running up to Christmas is an extremely busy period for me at work. It's quite literally flat out from October onwards and usually skip most of my breaks in work to try and keep on top of the job. Most days I start at 6am and work solid to around 2 pm before I stop for my first drink of the day for 20 minutes. It's then back to work again until knocking off time at 3.30..
This routine usually goes on from around October through to Christmas and then it gets a little easier.
I'm not complaining about it because I do enjoy my job ,and thankful that I have one ,but with being a single guy ,life still goes and must go on after work. Each night after work I try and get out on the bike for an hour or two when the weather's good just to unwind my head.
Being single though ,also means all the mundane chores of housework, food shopping and general things that were once shared , are now solely resting on my shoulders to do.
With such a busy life style to juggle and the fact I'm not the most domesticated beings on this planet, things have inevitably slipped. The last few weeks I've not been feeling to well and as soon I I've got home from work at 4 I'm asleep within 10 minutes of sitting down lol.
I then wake up around 7 and go out for a ride. It's usually 8/8.30 before I get back in before I cook some tea and then in bed for 10.30/11 o'clock.
This has been my routine now for the last 3 months. This Christmas has been a particularly quiet one for me ,and have taken the week off as a holiday due to feeling lousy. Yesterday sitting here it's suddenly dawned on me how dreary and untidy my home looks. With life being so busy ,house work has been neglected and started to realise that my home environment is seriously getting me down. Don't get me wrong its not filthy, as were there rats are now wearing overalls in the kitchen, but it is looking completely disorganized and untidy.
This morning I was feeling so much better and got up nice and early and gave the house a blitz around. With the mud guards fitted to the hoover I've vacuumed from top to bottom and tidied up everything. I've also had a good move around of furniture to freshen it up a little.
I feel so much better now for it ,and feel somewhat mentally energised by it all. It now looks like the nice little quaint cottage I once had again.
This next year coming ,its going to my New Year's resolution to look after my self a better ,and the environment I live in. Life's to short to be living like this :-) :-) :-) :-)

Last edited:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Little and often
https://www.unfarkyourhabitat.com/a-few-words-on-perfectionism/?pagenum=1&category=basics

Sandra6

Veteran
Now that I work full time I find I fall behind with housework. I used to have a week day off and would spend atleast every other being all domesticated. But I have a house full of other people who create mess, as a single person how much housework can there be to do?

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm not saying that the hoover hasn't been used for a while( too embarrassing) but I did notice that Henry,s eye's where actually shut this morning when I dragged him out from under the stairs lol :-) :-)
Johnny...........a true coincidence. I have just posted on a similar theme.......really not trying to highjack your thread. But if you read it you will see I do appreciate the problem...and I am not even working.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’m sorry you’ve felt unwell recently so this is a general remark. If you’re usually home by 4.00pm I would think most of the time there’s ample opportunity to do the housework. When I worked 6.30pm was early. My wife and I blitzed the house Friday night or Saturday morning. What didn’t get done waited till the following week.

I'm single, work full time and have spent the last twelve years caring for relatives none of whom lived local to me. The only way I could fit in any cycling was to commute the 15 miles to work. This meant I was out of the house from 6am until at least 7pm and was away at weekends.
It wasn't just housework that was an issue. I couldn't get anyone to do maintenance. Result a leaky tip of a house and jungle of a garden.

Top Bottom