What will happen to your bikes when you are gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
All my kids and grand children are not interested in cycling so I wonder what will happen to my bikes when I am gone ? I have 4 of them at the moment and my wife has no idea of their value. What about all my cycling gear as well? I am not really concerned as I won't be there but I would have liked the idea of the kids having some of them as a memory of me.

DogmaStu

Mine will possibly be donated to a cycling club.

When I had a health scare earlier this year, I made sure my kids had the password for the Google spreadsheet entitled 'Family Bike Fleet' which has all the details of all of our bikes (checks notes.... 23 at the moment) including a table of the geometry and components that can be pasted straight into an eBay listing, along with a realistic idea of their value. They'll keep hold of what they want, including maybe a "Dad's Pride and Joy" or two, and move the rest on. The bikes themselves will probably outlast all of us.

But that's nothing compared to this guy... I sold a couple of Hetchins last year, to a very interesting chap who has stockpiled over 450 Hetchins, mainly curly, in 3 shipping containers. One for each of his sons when he dies and without troubling the will or the taxman. His view was that they'd have to work for the money tied up in them, as they couldn't just dump them onto the market but would have to drip feed them over time. Based on what he paid for my two at the time, that's getting on for half a million quid. The two sales were the least emotional transactions I've ever had over bikes - a quick once-over, hand over the cash and away. No stories, no reference to or interest in the Hetchins Register, no deep checking of the frame or test rides, nothing. Just cash and carry.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Son will have my bikes

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Dunno none of either Maz's family or mine are into cycling hopefully someone will have the nounce to google Carradice and Brooks before they stick em on the bay or whatever.

Top Bottom