What will happen to your bikes when you are gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My son does cycle but mostly in competition so my bikes not of too much interest to him since they are more based on utility and touring.
I also have 2 trikes and have several times referred to the value of all of my fleet.
Therefore they will almost certainly sell all of them and I hope they stick out for a reasonable price.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That's a depressing question since I'll never have kids..

I sometimes think about this in a more general sense tbh - put so much time, effort and money into aquiring nice things that mean so much to you; yet as you age they become of less and less value / use while that sense of attachment potentially remains.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
They will appear on the repair shop in 100 years, and be lovingly restored.

But assuming I’m not taken early, I have no idea which bikes I’ll still have as I head into my 120s. I can imagine the fleet will reduce down towards one bike as I age.

vickster

Legendary Member
Left to friends various in my will, then they can do with them what they want!
I do need to update my will as I foolishly named the bikes, some I no longer have, some have been acquired since the will was written

johnnyb47

Guru
Mine will probably get thrown in the skip along with me 🤣🤣

Gillstay

Über Member
When I had a health scare earlier this year, I made sure my kids had the password for the Google spreadsheet entitled 'Family Bike Fleet' which has all the details of all of our bikes (checks notes.... 23 at the moment) including a table of the geometry and components that can be pasted straight into an eBay listing, along with a realistic idea of their value. They'll keep hold of what they want, including maybe a "Dad's Pride and Joy" or two, and move the rest on. The bikes themselves will probably outlast all of us.

But that's nothing compared to this guy... I sold a couple of Hetchins last year, to a very interesting chap who has stockpiled over 450 Hetchins, mainly curly, in 3 shipping containers. One for each of his sons when he dies and without troubling the will or the taxman. His view was that they'd have to work for the money tied up in them, as they couldn't just dump them onto the market but would have to drip feed them over time. Based on what he paid for my two at the time, that's getting on for half a million quid. The two sales were the least emotional transactions I've ever had over bikes - a quick once-over, hand over the cash and away. No stories, no reference to or interest in the Hetchins Register, no deep checking of the frame or test rides, nothing. Just cash and carry.

Chum did that with old motorbikes so his widow just put them all in an auction in one hit and paid the tax. Did not want the hassle. Oh and they had all badly degraded from sitting around and no one had had any fun on them including him. Never understood it myself. He could have just bought one expensive Bentley or similar, had fun in it and looked after it.

Top Bottom