Getting bikes onto a roof mounted bike rack on an MPV ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earlestownflya

if you've got a tow ball get a ball mounted rack:smile:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[QUOTE 3914887, member: 259"]Take a foldable three step stepladder, wear masdive platform heels, or get a proper towbar mount bike rack.[/QUOTE]
Considering the latter , just need a tow bar fitted ( er £200 + ?) and i take a foldable 3 step stepladder with me and still struggle .

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
More steps? I have the same problem, but 2" more-so. I use a foldable plastic step/stool, but most of the time I carry the bike inside the car upright, using a fork mount - being able to do this was the reason I bought the vehicle :okay: It's only on long journeys, fully loaded, that I have to get the bike onto the roof - and make sure you are parked next to a high kerb if possible!

Tom B

Guru
I'm 5'9" and it is far from easy putting more than two onto my focus.

I have one of them work platforms that would be ideal
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33187
should i ever have the presence of mind to remember it.

I usually struggle by squatting down beside the bike and lifting from the bottom of the front forks and rear stays.. plonking the bike on the roof and snapping on the stay.

I have bikes facing alternate ways and usually have to doors open so i can stand inside the doorway. Far from elegant...

Pick up bike by fork and downtube, over head, lock arms, step up onto sill, lean against door with small of back, drop wheels roughly onto carrier, then push bike upright, hold with one arm, use other to manipulate carrier. Reverse to take off. If you need to you can put a cover on the seat and step on that too, unless you're a bit precious about cars.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I used to put four bikes on top of a 4 x 4! It was a real bugger! Got more of a workout getting them up there sometimes than I did on the ride (family rides! Pah!).

One problems is if you have the cr@ppy Halfords Exodus cycle racks*, their crap design makes it doubly awkward. You get the bike up there, then you have to lean it over to get the support arm around the crank, as you do this, the front wheel flops round, the tyre jumps off the carrier, and the bike falls on your head. It does this around 5 times before you manage to get the damn thing on. Especially when you're trying to get the stupidly heavy kids bike in the centre, and there's no clearance under it.

In fact the more I think about it, the more attractive a tow ball becomes, even despite the £200 (plus the £300 plus for a decent towbar mounted rack). Only thing which put me off is changing my car so frequently. Other solution is never take family and bikes anywhere, or only take eldest son with 8kg road bike. That's the solution I've settled on for the moment, it's working a treat!

* Thule 591 carriers can be obtained at large reduction at the moment, around £58.

Top Bottom