Getting chilly in the cafe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Minus 8, snow and ice in Denmark. I got 100km early in the week. So I am playing catch up already. Aiming at 200km a week.

I think I will have a LEGO day. 😁

im 160 km ( 100 miles )behind already , due to floods /overtime i havent ridden all week

I find merino impossibly itchy if I sweat. I use Heattech Ultra from Uniqlo as base layers. Half or a third the price of merino and moths don't destroy them either.

I have DHB Merino tops that are great. Every isobaa merino top I have has holes in. I don't believe it's moths I think the Merino is prone to holes in that particular blend.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe if you don’t open your wallet the moths won’t get out to attack the merino ? 🤔
They ATE the wallet!!! :laugh:

(Actually, the Nepalese cloth wallet was falling to bits from years of use. Since I hardly use cash now it has been replaced by a cheapo plastic clam shell card holder. That was an experiment to see how I got on with it. I like it so I think that I will replace it with a nicer one.)

both times I’ve decided to push on and go home because I’m chilly and I know that if I stop and sit in a cafe in my cycling gear, I’ll get PROPERLY cold and shivery! Even if I took an extra layer, I know I’d get shivery!
Am I misunderstanding or is it that you were already cold and feared getting even colder if you stopped? The answer to that might be important.

If you're already cold is that because you're not wearing enough or not wearing the right stuff?
Is it because you've already overheated, started sweating and that is cooling you down?

On cold, Dutch commutes I found that wrists and ankles were particularly important to keep warm. Make of that what you will.
What can I do to avoid this? Is merino the answer? I’ve never worn any. My base layers are technical running T-shirts!
I'm a big fan of merino. Wool is the warmest thing to wear, in my experience, and merino is the most comfortable. But pricey and not terribly durable.
I wouldn't know a technical running shirt if it bit me on my behind but I'd look at if they are designed to be worn under something else.
I have a brilliant ex Norwegian army t-shirt that is a fine mesh - glorious on hot days but horrible if worn as an underlayer.

I'd definitely suggest trying some merino. Decathlon might be a good bet. They used to have better ones than the offerings now, though. The last merino t-shirt I bought from there was from the angling section, my favourites are long sleeves from the hiking section.
My merino socks are a godsend on cold or wet days. So important.

However, we're all different so I'd suggest trying it in different ways. One way would be to carry it as something to put on when you stop, as opposed to when riding.

A small microfibre towel can be very handy to give ourselves a quick wipe. (Or run it under a hot tap, squeeze with all your strength and warm up some hard to reach places!)

That is a possibility. I hate being cold so tend to overdress generally and getting out on my bike in winter isn’t always appealing to me so I do lure myself out with the promise of layers!!
It's no harm to look anew at what you're wearing and how it all works together.
The basics too - gloves, socks, neck warmer, balaclava etc.
One thing to consider is to warm up before going out on the bike. Something like jumping jacks will quickly raise the body temp that you can look to maintain on the bike. (It's also a good way to test out various clothing/layering options - so long as you don't mind looking a bit foolish ^_^)
Use the zips as you go - increase or decrease ventilation as you need it.

There's also the purpose of the ride. In the cold I aim for slow and steady. I try not to overheat / work up a sweat. I'm guessing others would be more performance based. Maybe have "cake days" which are gentle and rewarding and others that are more aggressive?

It may be anathema to some but I'd see sticking on a bag filled with comforts as a worthwhile price to pay if it meant I was actually getting out as opposed to thinking about it or enjoying it as opposed to suffering it.

Slick

Guru
I thought about this thread today as I arrived at the cafe stop almost at the very end of my ride as I met Mrs Slick there and quickly became very cold despite a Marino wool base layer. That said, it was a sub zero ride in freezing fog, but for me, 8 always seem to cool down faster than others if I hang around too much or even eat too much as my body seems to see eating as a signal the work is over for the day and goes into standby mode quite quickly.

I think I would get cold quickly in some circumstances regardless of what I was wearing.

All uphill

Still rolling along
my body seems to see eating as a signal the work is over for the day and goes into standby mode quite quickly.
You've said exactly what I experience.

It doesn't take long to get going again, but the period between walking out of the cafe and being warm again is unpleasant.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Experimented today with a synthetic baselayer for a ride and noticed when got back home (no cafe stop) got colder quicker than merino, so this one very unscientific experiment, merino keeps its warmth longer as well when you stopped...

Experiment day 2, back to merino base layer (Aldi or Lidl) - cold pretty much for the whole ride (1 & 1/2 loop) - got back and kept the merino on for a while, (took layers off) wicked very quick and warmed up.
Noticed Mountain Warehouse have merino baselayers for £25 on offer

Sallar55

Veteran
Experiment day 2, back to merino base layer (Aldi or Lidl) - cold pretty much for the whole ride (1 & 1/2 loop) - got back and kept the merino on for a while, (took layers off) wicked very quick and warmed up.
Noticed Mountain Warehouse have merino baselayers for £25 on offer
30% polyester would not buy , always check the description before buying.

Sallar55

Veteran
Good value merino tops come from Decathlon, the cheapest ones don't say what mix of material. The dearer ones are 100%, Smartwool /Icebreaker are very expensive but probably a denser wool so warmer. They had various grades of 100 % merino. As for moths or saying that they wear out think that's rubbish.Have Rapha's Fixed merino long sleeve top, might be 15 years old and it's just the cuffs starting to go. My go to winter thermal for low temps.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Moth balls used to be available here - and were quite effective, if stinky - but they are now considered too toxic for domestic use, and are recognised as a carcinogen.

Oh, the napthaline ones? I remember a physics lesson where we had to melt those - filling the lab with that distinctive smell. Sounds healthy.

Top Bottom