Getting kitted out for longer rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I have only done 20 mile cycles so far. However I am keen to get up to the 50 mile mark. I ride a road bike.

However I need to get kitted out with the basics.

I currently have no spare inner tubes but have attached images of my bike wheel, so this will probably help. Please can you let me know the inner tube I would need.

I also think tyre levers, cycle Jersey, patch kit and small bike bag good idea.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20200409_202105.jpg
    20200409_202105.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200409_202043.jpg
    20200409_202043.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 10

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Pump! Probably a decent-sized one with gauge strapped to the bike to get those up to pressure.

Look for an ISO size number like 23-622 to identify the needed tube. Any including 23 in the two digit number range and 622 in the three and Presta or French valve will fit. Probably described as something like 18/25-622.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
How inexperienced are you?
Tyre levers(3) are a must and a good pump and repair kit.
But make sure you practice taking a tyre off before you venture on a longer ride, in the comfort of your own home. You can then see what size inner tube you currently have.

The leap from a 20 mile ride to a 50 mile ride is quite an increase and will take you about 4 hours, so add a few miles on to your routes each week and gradually build up.

Good luck

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
That's a 28" wheel also known as 700c.
If you look on the tyre sidewall you will see the tyre size printed as 700 x whatever the width is, and that is the size inner tube you need to order eg. 700 x 28.
Make sure you get the correct valve type as well - Presta.
You need a good pump - tyre levers and always worth having a puncture kit or some self adhesive patches.
Worth carrying as a minimum a multi tool with a chain tool incorporated or separate and a quick link for whatever speed chain you have.

mjr

I think it's worth paying the little extra for levers from Schwalbe, Bontrager or Continental with the double lip which makes it so much easier to scoop+slide the edge over the rim.

That's a 28" wheel also known as 700c.
If you look on the tyre sidewall you will see the tyre size printed as 700 x whatever the width is, and that is the size inner tube you need to order eg. 700 x 28.
Shouldn't we avoid corrupted old French sizes and only use the ISO two numbers with dash between measurements now?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it's worth paying the little extra for levers from Schwalbe, Bontrager or Continental with the double lip which makes it so much easier to scoop+slide the edge over the rim.

Shouldn't we avoid corrupted old French sizes and only use the ISO two numbers with dash between measurements now?
Why? The tube packaging has the different markings and the online sellers also label as such

mjr

vickster

Legendary Member
Because all it takes is one letter out and you end up with a useless-to-you 700b tube. More of a risk with "650"s where two are about as common but in the words of Cycling UK, "convert to ISO dimensions and then have nothing more to do with those old markings!" https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/components/wheels-tyres/tyre-sizes
I’ve never seen such a tube...and have never ended up with the wrong one either from a shop or online. It’s not rocket science 👍 if you don’t go out looking for problems, you’re less likely to encounter them ;)

mjr

I’ve never seen such a tube...and have never ended up with the wrong one either from a shop or online. It’s not rocket science 👍 if you don’t go out looking for problems, you’re less likely to encounter them ;)
Exactly! Use the ISO sizes and don't go looking for the confusion about whether your wheels are 27", 27.5", 28" or 700mm when they're actually 622mm.

Top Bottom