Getting kitted out for longer rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Plenty of fluid. If doing 50miles I take 750ml of water and 750ml electrolyte drink and bear in mind I cycle early mornings. If you are going peak sunshine time in the summer then you might need to drink even more so plan your longer routes to include places you can get a drink. Even more important to plan this in the current situation as village shops might not be open.

CXRAndy

Guru
You need the same kit for 20 miles as 50+ miles. Food and drink is obviously more unless stopping half way.

I run tubeless setup, so punctures is not really a concern, belt and braces, I carry a spare inner tube. Gas inflators and 3 levers. I also have a small Allen key set and cables ties,. Im never that far away from home a phone call wont sort

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Whatever you carry - make sure you know how to use it. Practice at home first. An example: I bought some CO2 cartridges and an inflator cheap at Aldi. The only time I came to use it I didn't have a clue how to and ended up just freezing my hand and leaving the tube uninflated. Eventually I resorted to my trusty pump and the inflator and remaining cartridges have been relegated to a box of junk somewhere. Possibly the instructions may be lurking in the same box.

That's also why I don't carry spare spokes. Anything to do with spokes is black magic to me.

I personally have only needed a chain tool on the road once. That was decades ago in my youth. I didn't have one but managed to borrow a hammer and punch. However I have lent my chain tool (and donated a spare quick link) to people on the road twice. I always carry spare cleat bolts and have never needed them myself but have once donated one to a fellow rider. And I've handed out Park tyre boots and Skab quick patches on multiple occasions.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
However I have lent my chain tool (and donated a spare quick link) to people on the road twice. I always carry spare cleat bolts and have never needed them myself but have once donated one to a fellow rider. And I've handed out Park tyre boots and Skab quick patches on multiple occasions.
Yes. A chain tool and appropriate quick link is rarely needed but they can be so light (Park CT5), they're more worthwhile than even a multitool IMO.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Whatever you carry - make sure you know how to use it. Practice at home first. An example: I bought some CO2 cartridges and an inflator cheap at Aldi. The only time I came to use it I didn't have a clue how to and ended up just freezing my hand and leaving the tube uninflated. Eventually I resorted to my trusty pump and the inflator and remaining cartridges have been relegated to a box of junk somewhere. Possibly the instructions may be lurking in the same box.

That's also why I don't carry spare spokes. Anything to do with spokes is black magic to me.

I personally have only needed a chain tool on the road once. That was decades ago in my youth. I didn't have one but managed to borrow a hammer and punch. However I have lent my chain tool (and donated a spare quick link) to people on the road twice. I always carry spare cleat bolts and have never needed them myself but have once donated one to a fellow rider. And I've handed out Park tyre boots and Skab quick patches on multiple occasions.

That is what humanity is all about.

boydj

Legendary Member
It's also useful to have a plan for when things go wrong and can't be fixed. It could be calling her indoors for a pickup, or getting to a railway station, or even a short-cut to get home more quickly if you run out of steam.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
It's also useful to have a plan for when things go wrong and can't be fixed. It could be calling her indoors for a pickup, or getting to a railway station, or even a short-cut to get home more quickly if you run out of steam.

Very true fella.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Is there a particular saddle bag anyone would recommend?

Am looking at getting a ToPeak one, along with some inner tubes and heavy duty tyre levers.

With that equipment, I would feel confident doing a 50 mile trip.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is there a particular saddle bag anyone would recommend?

Am looking at getting a ToPeak one, along with some inner tubes and heavy duty tyre levers.

With that equipment, I would feel confident doing a 50 mile trip.
There are hundreds to chose from. I've always used Topeak for the simple reason it's easy to pop in to Halfords and see them rather than looking at online images.

Two comments to make. Buy something which has a zip to allow the bottom to expand, this is really quite useful on occasions - avoid the ones where the expansion is at the end as this makes little difference.

Buy something small as it will look better, stop things rattling around inside and prevent the temptation to pack the kitchen sink.

DRM

Guru

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Pound shop bum bag, strap as short as possible, done up around the stem upside down with the bag nearest you, then flip it forwards over the handlebars: instant bar bag, small but bigger and with bigger opening than those giant hackeysack saddlebags. Leaves your saddle rails free for a real longflap saddlebag when you progress to touring.

Gunk

Guru
Here is my set up, everything I need and it slots into a bottle cage. A pair of disposable gloves from a garage forecourt are also a good idea.

Top Bottom