Getting kitted out for longer rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I too am not a big drinker. If I’m going out for 20 miles or less, I usually don’t bother taking a bidon. If it’s going to be 30-50 miles, I’ll take a 500ml bottle with dilute orange squash (or water and a hydration tab if I’m feeling posh!). Unless it’s particularly hot, it usually comes back half full. For a 100 mile sportive, I’ll take a 750ml bottle filled with water and hydration tab, and an empty second bidon with just the tab in it so I can fill it up at a feed stop if I’m getting short. Don’t think I’ve ever drunk all of both.

BigMeatball

Normally I take a 750ml bottle for rides up to 50km, 2 bottles for longer rides.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The thing that gets me about under-seat wedges is that they are so fiddly to get things in and out, because they are long and thin. So if the doodad you want is at the bottom you basically have to empty the whole thing out. So only really for emergency stuff with anything for regular use needs to be right at the top of the wedge or in jersey pockets. However I try to avoid carrying hard stuff (like pumps or phones) in jersey pockets because of injury risk (not that it's ever happened to me).

A little handlebar bag is much more convenient - but admittedly not very aero and a bit ugly looking. Like this cheapo but good bag from Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-bike-handlebar-bag-25l-id_8355750.html

But really - you know you want to - fit a rack and your carrying woes are at an end. Rack pack, pannier, whatever, the world is your oyster. While you're at it get yourself some nice comfy tartan slippers. (I draw the line at a pipe)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The thing that gets me about under-seat wedges is that they are so fiddly to get things in and out, because they are long and thin. So if the doodad you want is at the bottom you basically have to empty the whole thing out. So only really for emergency stuff with anything for regular use needs to be right at the top of the wedge or in jersey pockets. However I try to avoid carrying hard stuff (like pumps or phones) in jersey pockets because of injury risk (not that it's ever happened to me).

A little handlebar bag is much more convenient - but admittedly not very aero and a bit ugly looking. Like this cheapo but good bag from Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-bike-handlebar-bag-25l-id_8355750.html

But really - you know you want to - fit a rack and your carrying woes are at an end. Rack pack, pannier, whatever, the world is your oyster. While you're at it get yourself some nice comfy tartan slippers. (I draw the line at a pipe)
For winter riding i have this on the top tube for a bit of extra storgae to keep tissues , gels etc in so i have a pocket free to carry a windproof .
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nutrition-bike-tri-bag-id_8495299.html

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The unfixable issues I've seen are smashed deraileurs after a crash/falling off, trashed wheels where the side has blown out. These guys had to phone a friend.
Trashed deraiileur can be fixed enough to get you home: shorten the chain, bypassing the derailleur and make it a single speed in a middling gear. Set the limits on the front derailleur to prevent shifting or unclamp the cable. Start with a low guess as the chain may be unavoidably slack with modern unadjustable dropouts and it's easier to shorten again and try one gear higher than lengthen.

Failed rims are a walk or recovery, though.

faster

Über Member
Failed rims are a walk or recovery, though.

Not so - I've made it home from well over 100 miles away after having a rim blow out.

This was about half way through Lejog, so couldn't really give up.

No bike shops were open, but we managed to source another rear wheel in no time by simply knocking on people's doors and asking if they knew of any old bike wheels knocking about. Someone mentioned their son was a caretaker at a local school and he might have some old dumped bikes.

Sure enough, we found him, and he had a sort of suitable wheel. It was pretty knackered, not quick release, and only a 5 speed (to go on a 7 speed bike), but actually worked very well. I had a spare wheel to pick up when passing home, but I have no doubt it would've made it to John o' Groats.

Any towns where a major race has recently passed through are also a good source of spares, but they may be painted yellow.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I have duplicated saddlebags on each bike

The only time I have ever needed rescue was when I forgot to move my saddlebag from the other bike. A puncture then leaves you totally scuppered.

Ever since, I've invested in a bag, tubes and basic tools for every bike.

Never again!

If you take with you a mini pump which screws on to the valve and you have conti inner tubes don't leave home without this little critter.
removable inner tube core tool.jpg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Whatever you carry - make sure you know how to use it. Practice at home first. An example: I bought some CO2 cartridges and an inflator cheap at Aldi. The only time I came to use it I didn't have a clue how to and ended up just freezing my hand and leaving the tube uninflated. Eventually I resorted to my trusty pump and the inflator and remaining cartridges have been relegated to a box of junk somewhere. Possibly the instructions may be lurking in the same box.

That's also why I don't carry spare spokes. Anything to do with spokes is black magic to me.

I personally have only needed a chain tool on the road once. That was decades ago in my youth. I didn't have one but managed to borrow a hammer and punch. However I have lent my chain tool (and donated a spare quick link) to people on the road twice. I always carry spare cleat bolts and have never needed them myself but have once donated one to a fellow rider. And I've handed out Park tyre boots and Skab quick patches on multiple occasions.
I've met lovely people like you on the road :okay:

It's also useful to have a plan for when things go wrong and can't be fixed. It could be calling her indoors for a pickup, or getting to a railway station, or even a short-cut to get home more quickly if you run out of steam.

But It's cheating if you call for rescue.

"Her indoors" :rolleyes:

It's like the 1950's never ended for some folks ^_^

These days I can go over a year without a picture, then I'll get 3 in a month! SOoo glad to have a spare tube when it happens.

I've not regretted going tubeless yet :becool:
But still carry a spare inner JiC

Top Bottom