Getting kitted out for longer rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Exactly! Use the ISO sizes and don't go looking for the confusion about whether your wheels are 27", 27.5", 28" or 700mm when they're actually 622mm.
The OP has a road bike with skinny 23mm tyres, it’ll have 700 wheels. It’s not a complex situation

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Things to consider taking. Some will be a bit OTT for the OP's requirements but they are what cropped up to my mind

Hmmm....
Phone
Things for punctures (tubes, levers, pump, patches etc)
Park tyre boot
Emergency cash and card
General tools. Multitool with hex keys and a chain tool. Know how to use it.
Spare chain link. The right size for your chain.
Miscellaneous emergency fixers. Some duck tape and cable ties.
Charge bank and appropriate cables for recharging phone, GPS, lights etc.
Some food, snack bars, sandwiches, slices of cake, bananas, peanuts etc.
Clothes as weather dictates - waterproof layer, buff, spare gloves etc
Lock
Lights (on bike)
Spare lights. I carry a small front and rear light for emergencies if I'm likely to be out in the dark.
Spare batteries if you have anything battery powered with you (lights, GPS etc)
Mini Leatherman style pliers - often come in useful.
Head Torch

Mattk50

MattK50
Fair enough, I never stray far without tube, pump, levers (and ETA cover!)
Me neither. I got a puncture 5 miles from home along the River Lee tow path once. A 5 mile walk isn't so bad but pushing a bike..... Afterwards just to add insult to injury someone told me I wasn't so far from a train station. My phone battery was dead as well. A real humdinger of a day that one!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have a Bontrager saddle bag that I swap between bikes, it goes on any ride where walking home would be a royal pain, so any more than about 2 miles i.e the pub / shops. For any proper ride of more than that, the bag comes along. I'm not at home to mister cock up. ^_^

It contains:

CO2 inflator plus 3 cylinders
2 spare tubes
Park tool multi tool
Park pre glued patches
Nylon tyre levers
Spoke key
Small tie wraps
Vinyl gloves

On short tours I also carry some spare spokes, chain links, and a mini pump.

Vick does have a point, the fairy is a rarer visitor than in years gone by (I can't remember my last visit), but you never know and a basic tool bag is comforting insurance.

Last edited:
A spare inner is good for the first puncture. It is not unknown to get a second, either because you caused a snakebite puncture on refitting, or the road conditions that caused the initial one are still there.
Patch the damaged inner in the comfort of your home, unless you get s second, in which case you have to patch it by the roadside and fit it.
Learn how to patch an inner before any of this happens to you.

Dress for the conditions. Evenings get cooler. Stopping for repairs can get cold.
Ultralight windproof jacket is lightweight, small and very useful. Aldi have them in their bike special sales.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
Thanks for the all the advice. It is great.

I have had a road bike for 10 years, but have only used it for commuting to the station.

However doing a few 20 mile cycles recently, I have enjoyed it.

I am in decent shape, so don't think the fitness element will be an issue.

More concerned about being properly kitted out in the event of something going wrong.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
I took this picture, so hopefully that makes things easier.

Attachments

• 20200410_155645.jpg
    20200410_155645.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 6

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I confess I prefer to keep it minimal. Spare inner tube (maybe 2 if I’m going particularly far or on dodgy roads), two tyre levers (I like the wide plastic ones by Continental) and a small multi-tool with a range of Allen keys etc and a pump. If the weather is even remotely dodgy, a packable rain jacket. Drink and an energy bar and I’m done. Oh and lights on the bike at all times - you may not need them switched on when you go out but if there’s a thunderstorm and/or you have a problem and light fades before you get home, you will need them. Oh and a phone, but then I seem to carry it all the time anyway!

I might carry more if I was doing 100+ miles or a tour, but gave up carrying a chain tool or puncture repair patches years ago because I never used them out on the road. Never had a chain break on me and rarely have punctures when cycling for leisure (over 4500 miles since the last one) - different story when commuting in central London (lots of bits of glass which seem to embed in the tyre and then get forced through into the inner tube when you next hit an unavoidable pothole, sleeping policeman etc).

Ian

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I will chip in with this advice, carry enough food and water as once you get over couple of hours you may need to top your energy levels and hydrate as there is nothing as much fun as when you run out of energy far from home.
Everyone is different but i generally carry a bar of some kind maybe a flapjack etc and a gel.I dont use the gel very often but its there just in case .

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for the all the advice. It is great.

I have had a road bike for 10 years, but have only used it for commuting to the station.

However doing a few 20 mile cycles recently, I have enjoyed it.

I am in decent shape, so don't think the fitness element will be an issue.

More concerned about being properly kitted out in the event of something going wrong.
For 50 miles you need very little:
  • Two tubes
  • One multi tool
  • One pump
  • Two tyre levers
  • £20 cash
  • Bank or credit card
  • Drink
  • Energy bar
  • Phone
  • Clothing appropriate to the weather
Everything else just weighs you down.