Getting kitted out for longer rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

I've done around 500km since I started going on the bike again and haven't had a puncture yet. Fortunately, I will add, as I don't carry inner tubes nor multi tool with me. I know, I like to live on the edge :laugh:

Ironically, I've got all that stuff, but I either forget to bring it with me or I remember when I'm just out and I'm too lazy to go back up again.

All I bring with me is: 2 water bottles and a topeak fuel tank bag with phone, keys, debit card and peanut m&m's.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did some sums a while ago to calculate my puncture frequency. I've forgotten the answer but I think it came out at something like 1 per 3,000km / 2,000 miles - something like that.

I use Durano Plus tyres.

I always take a full load of tools etc with me even for short rides, because all the stuff lives in my rack bag. Although I have to admit I haven't been taking quite so much kit on the bike since I've switched to riding on the turbo.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW, no doubt much to the offence of "proper" roadies I ride with a small (15l) rucksack which always contains:

- Small pump
- Fold out multitool with Allen key and screwdriver bits
- Puncture repair kit
- Spare innertube
- Spare quicklink
- Miniature chain tool
- A few quid in cash
- Head torch
- Spare rechargeable batteries for head torch / rear light
- Spare batteries for my heart rate monitor since the existing one's on its way out
- Cereal bars (although I think I'm allergic to them :sad: )
- Antihistamines
- Paracetamol
- Gloves
- Small torque wrench and bits (takes the anxiety out of on-the-fly adjustments to CFRP bits)
- Probably some other stuff that currently escapes me..

In addition other important stuff goes in there when I go out (phone for example) and it's also good for carrying a lock, additional layers or anything small I might pick up on the ride.

I also have two bottle cages on the bike; which you'll need to make full use of on longer rides; especially if it's hot!

Edited to add some of the other bits I'd obviously forgotten...

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ok
Did 38 miles yesterday and this is what i took
2 inner tubes
c02 pump
mini pump
tyre levers
multi tool
instant patches
1 750 ml bottle
spare bottle cage had empty bottle like tank with gilet and armwarmers as it was a bit nippy with that wind .

Jersey pockets
couple of tissues as i get that exercise induced rhinitis
phone
energy bar , which i didnt use .

Thats pretty much my set up for club rides to as we normally have a cake stop after that sort of distance then maybe another 25-30 back home , i would top the single bottle up at the cafe.If its warmer i would take 2 bottles and ditch the tank and use jersey pockets .
I do eat more if i am going for a time on a ride like a planned club event or charity ride i would carry a bit more nibbles and eat a little bit every 10 miles or so .

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ok
Did 38 miles yesterday and this is what i took
2 inner tubes
c02 pump
mini pump
tyre levers
multi tool
instant patches
1 750 ml bottle
spare bottle cage had empty bottle like tank with gilet and armwarmers as it was a bit nippy with that wind .

Jersey pockets
couple of tissues as i get that exercise induced rhinitis
phone
energy bar , which i didnt use .

Thats pretty much my set up for club rides to as we normally have a cake stop after that sort of distance then maybe another 25-30 back home , i would top the single bottle up at the cafe.If its warmer i would take 2 bottles and ditch the tank and use jersey pockets .
I do eat more if i am going for a time on a ride like a planned club event or charity ride i would carry a bit more nibbles and eat a little bit every 10 miles or so .
I'm with this man though organised slightly differently. I set off dressed for the weather conditions at the start time. Other than a rain jacket I prefer to wear what I need and remove as necessary. In a small under seat bag I carry:
  • multi tool
  • 10 and 11 speed quick links
  • two tubes
  • two tyre levers
  • patches
  • cafe lock
  • cleat screws - I have a tendency to lose these!! :laugh:
  • £20
I keep meaning to buy a CO2 cannister but only think about it during a ride and then forget!

In jersey pockets:
  • central pocket - pouch style wallet containing phone, credit card, cash, emergency details and medical card
  • central pocket - survival blanket. Has been used for other riders. I view this as an absolute essential
  • right pocket - cereal bar or current choice of food, Glyceril trinate spray in case of heart issue (I'm a survivor)
  • left pocket - Crank brothers tyre lever
  • in winter I add a spare base layer very tightly rolled and covered in cling film. Rain jacket if needed
On my wrist I wear a onelifeid band which gives a medic full access to my medical history, contact details, NHS history etc. £15-20 every cyclist should do this in my opinion. Around my neck an orienteering whistle for when I'm laying in a ditch with a broken leg and unable to move. :laugh:

I utter not a word of criticism of other riders as we all make our own choices. In all my cycling years I have never experienced an issue, nor seen one for a friend, which couldn't be covered by the above. What does go wrong? Punctures and the very, very occasional snapped chain. I see no point in carrying anything else. The unfixable issues I've seen are smashed deraileurs after a crash/falling off, trashed wheels where the side has blown out. These guys had to phone a friend.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm with this man though organised slightly differently. I set off dressed for the weather conditions at the start time. Other than a rain jacket I prefer to wear what I need and remove as necessary. In a small under seat bag I carry:
  • multi tool
  • two tubes
  • two tyre levers
  • patches
  • cafe lock
  • £20
I keep meaning to buy a CO2 cannister but only think about it during a ride and then forget!

In jersey pockets:
  • central pocket - pouch style wallet containing phone, credit card, cash, emergency details and medical card
  • central pocket - survival blanket. Has been used for other riders. I view this as an absolute essential
  • right pocket - cereal bar or current choice of food, Glyceril trinate spray in case of heart issue (I'm a survivor)
  • in winter I add a spare base layer very tightly rolled and covered in cling film. Rain jacket if needed
On my wrist I wear a onelifeid band which gives a medic full access to my medical history, contact details, NHS history etc. £15-20 every cyclist should do this in my opinion. Around my neck an orienteering whistle for when I'm laying in a ditch with a broken leg and unable to move. :laugh:

I utter not a word of criticism of other riders as we all make our own choices. In all my cycling years I have never experienced an issue, nor seen one for a friend, which couldn't be covered by the above. What does go wrong? Punctures and the very, very occasional snapped chain. I see no point in carrying anything else. The unfixable issues I've seen are smashed deraileurs after a crash/falling off, trashed wheels where the side has blown out. These guys had to phone a friend.
Bloody hell. I have days I go out with only the saddle bag with tubes, levers, pump, quick link and chain tool. No water, food, money or phone! :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
Quick local 10 mile rides from the house that we’ve been doing recently I’ve just taken a water bottle and a phone. If anything happens Mrs Gunk would have to come to the rescue.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Bloody hell. I have days I go out with only the saddle bag with tubes, levers, pump, quick link and chain tool. No water, food, money or phone! :laugh:
Are you a camel Mo? I took two 750ml bottles out recently for a 22 mile ride and drained them both!
When I was shopping for a new tourer a few months back, one of the absolute minimum specs was 3 bottle cage mounts!

Don't you get thirsty? :ohmy:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Me too........when I've forgotten stuff!! I have used all of these things at one time or another except the onelifeid band and the tri-nitrate spray!!!!! :laugh: I'm still here.

Everyone I ride with carries pretty much the same. It takes up little room. I'm the only one with a spare base layer which I put on underneath the wet sweaty one in the cafe. I'm also the only one who never complains of being cold after leaving the cafe!!!! Hit a pothole in January and trashed two tubes in one go!

vickster

Legendary Member
  • multi tool
  • two tubes
  • two tyre levers
  • patches
  • cafe lock
  • £20

In jersey pockets:

Don't forget your pump ;)

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Are you a camel Mo? I took two 750ml bottles out recently for a 22 mile ride and drained them both!
When I was shopping for a new tourer a few months back, one of the absolute minimum specs was 3 bottle cage mounts!

Don't you get thirsty? :ohmy:
Not particularly unless it's exceptionally warm, which doesn't happen a lot up here! :laugh: I don't like plain water but if I think I might be out for a while I'll either put some energy powder or High5 zero tabs in a bottle. I can count on one hand how often I've ever taken 2 bottles.

Top Bottom