Getting kitted out for longer rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've done around 500km since I started going on the bike again and haven't had a puncture yet. Fortunately, I will add, as I don't carry inner tubes nor multi tool with me. I know, I like to live on the edge :laugh:

Ironically, I've got all that stuff, but I either forget to bring it with me or I remember when I'm just out and I'm too lazy to go back up again.

All I bring with me is: 2 water bottles and a topeak fuel tank bag with phone, keys, debit card and peanut m&m's.
Hope you don't go far. Guardian angels seek new charges after childhood.

Last edited:
For 50 miles you need very little:
  • Two tubes
  • One multi tool
  • One pump
  • Two tyre levers
  • £20 cash
  • Bank or credit card
  • Drink
  • Energy bar
  • Phone
  • Clothing appropriate to the weather
Everything else just weighs you down.
Plus
Tyre boot
Chain links
Few appropriate bolts?
(Tho i know some have little attached in the way of racks, guards)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Plus
Tyre boot
Chain links
Few appropriate bolts?
(Tho i know some have little attached in the way of racks, guards)

Should have mentioned I carry a couple of cleat screws as I have an odd habit of losing these. Bizarre! Yes, I have chain links, forgot about those as they are secreted in the little pouch I carry my multi-tool in - that way I do remember them when the chain snaps! :laugh:

BigMeatball

Hope you don't go far. Guardian angels seek new charges after childhood.

after that post, I thought I had jinxed myself but so far i've done another 3 rides and 150km in total with no issues. Now I'm just curious to see how long I can go.

I also started thinking about when I was riding my mountain bike pretty much everyday when I was a kid/teenager, riding everywhere on any kind of terrain. I don't remember ever getting a puncture back then either. Theoretically, we could be talking about a 15+ cumulative years puncture-free....

I'm fascinated could you explain why please.

Thanks
Hi Paul
Continental inner tubes have removable valve cores which unscrew so you can put gunk/slime into the tyre if you run tubeless so you have this little tool which will unscrew and tighten the core.
The downside to that and something i found to my cost is that if you have a puncture with clincher tyres and you install a new inner tube as soon as you start unscrewing the valve on the pump the inner tube valve core is going to come of as well which in the middle of nowhere is not going to be ideal.
The way round this is don't use inner tubes with these valve cores,have a pump which presses on rather than screws on or just take the cheap little tool which will tighten up the valve core.
I hope that explains it?😧

Gunk

Guru
Not sure i'd trust that pump. Looks like the sort of thing i see roadies struggling with in ditches.
(Or is it a cartridge thing?)

I’ve tried it and it does work, just :laugh:

mustang1

Legendary Member
A possible suggestion:
Get a saddle bag. On your rides, take 2 plastic and round edged tyre levers, 2 inner tubes, 2 CO2 cartridges and compatible nozzle, an airpump I dont have one with guage because takes up more space, but it's attached to the bottle holder anyway so i guess not a big deal), chain link, multitool.
Two water bottles in two bottle cages, a small bike lock, £10 cash. Front and rear lights.

Just have those things on your bike all the time, just leave them there. And like some people mentioned above, ensure you know how to use those tools.

Enjoy!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi Paul
Continental inner tubes have removable valve cores which unscrew so you can put gunk/slime into the tyre if you run tubeless so you have this little tool which will unscrew and tighten the core.
The downside to that and something i found to my cost is that if you have a puncture with clincher tyres and you install a new inner tube as soon as you start unscrewing the valve on the pump the inner tube valve core is going to come of as well which in the middle of nowhere is not going to be ideal.
The way round this is don't use inner tubes with these valve cores,have a pump which presses on rather than screws on or just take the cheap little tool which will tighten up the valve core.
Thanks that's valuable advice which means I either need to review my tubes or my pump!

Something I was completely unaware of.

I’ve tried it and it does work, just :laugh:
I'd recommend one of the Topeak Morphs - there is quite a small one.

(don't expect me to lend you mine - last morph I lent to a lightweight bod as he struggled with a tiny thing he ended up busting it - broke the foot off by bending it the wrong way)

Hi Paul

I had a core fire out on a tube a while ago - not sure what type of tube - luckily it was at home and landed on the drive, not in grass.

after that post, I thought I had jinxed myself but so far i've done another 3 rides and 150km in total with no issues. Now I'm just curious to see how long I can go.

I also started thinking about when I was riding my mountain bike pretty much everyday when I was a kid/teenager, riding everywhere on any kind of terrain. I don't remember ever getting a puncture back then either. Theoretically, we could be talking about a 15+ cumulative years puncture-free....
yes as I said we all have memories of those charmed years and the angel - as a youngster I pretty much never cycled with stuff to sort a flat - even once when I ventured through the Trough of Bowland with a mate - but in my view you'd be mad to tempt fate. Punctures are only a minor irritation (unless it's freezing cold and chucking it down) if you have a few simple bits of compact kit.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Thanks that's valuable advice which means I either need to review my tubes or my pump!

Something I was completely unaware of.
The problem unscrewing a core happened to me - fortunately while I was at home and using my Lezyne Road Drive mini pump to top up the rear tyre before a turbo session cos I was too lazy to get the track pump out of the shed. All 4 of my bikes have Conti tubes (plus loads of spares in saddle bags etc) so I decided it was cheaper to replace my Lezyne pump with a Silca Tattico (not the stupidly expensive one that links to an app on your phone to show you the pressure in the tyre)

Top Bottom