Getting kitted out for longer rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

yes as I said we all have memories of those charmed years and the angel - as a youngster I pretty much never cycled with stuff to sort a flat - even once when I ventured through the Trough of Bowland with a mate - but in my view you'd be mad to tempt fate. Punctures are only a minor irritation (unless it's freezing cold and chucking it down) if you have a few simple bits of compact kit.

I've got the feeling that the first time I take with me pump and spare inner tube, that's going to be when I get my first puncture :laugh:

I've got the feeling that the first time I take with me pump and spare inner tube, that's going to be when I get my first puncture :laugh:
Reasons to be thankful.
Face your demon.
Conquer the fear.

Ps, take TWO tubes, and repair kit.

boydj

Legendary Member

But It's cheating if you call for rescue.

"Her indoors" :rolleyes:

It's like the 1950's never ended for some folks ^_^

Well, I was born at the start of the 50's and Elvis was my first hero :becool:.

And you haven't lived if you've never ended up with an unrideable bike miles from home. I've seen it happen a couple of times. Once a group ride hitting a bend on a country lane to be confronted by a farmer flailing a hawthorn hedge. The group collectively ran out of spare tubes and a couple had to head to the nearest train station. I've also had a rear mech disintegrate and take the rear wheel with it. Fortunately, again there was a train station within reasonable walking distance and I only had to be collected from our local station.

Mike_P

Guru
I have a Lezyne saddle bag that is quite small so after much emptying of it to find what I wanted decided the spare tube would be better elsewhere and have a TopPeak top bar bag, works fine as I can keep other bits on their as necessary although I did manage to overfill it once and did not notice anything astray until after the waterproof top had been missing for some time:sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well, I was born at the start of the 50's and Elvis was my first hero :becool:.

And you haven't lived if you've never ended up with an unrideable bike miles from home. I've seen it happen a couple of times. Once a group ride hitting a bend on a country lane to be confronted by a farmer flailing a hawthorn hedge. The group collectively ran out of spare tubes and a couple had to head to the nearest train station. I've also had a rear mech disintegrate and take the rear wheel with it. Fortunately, again there was a train station within reasonable walking distance and I only had to be collected from our local station.
:smile:

Oh I've ended up with an unrideable bike alright.

Just had to make my own way home that's all :rolleyes:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Never sure why I bothered. I got fed up repairing punctures for people carrying nothing to do their own particularly at weekends near Glasgow. I was a bit miffed on South Uist when I had a flat and was at the roadside fixing it when a group of 5 or 6 came past and they cannot have failed to see me but never had the manners to ask if If I was managing ok. I was anyway but I would have expected some reaction.

Mike_P

Guru
It's strange how that happens, got the multi tool out to fix a loose Go Pro mount and within a minute was surrounded by cyclists (obviously the secret bat signal in the multi tool went off) yet when I got a puncture not one cyclist stopped.

One thing no one has mentioned is a that you can get very cold changing/fixing a puncture, an extra layer is a good idea, in the winter I have a extra festival single use cape to give to anyone catch out without a coat.... Not had to use it while on the bike, but it has been used hill walking when someone dived into their ruck sack and found they had forgotten their coat!

Top Bottom