getting measured for a saddle......Warrington......any suggestions??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As per the title I live in Warrington and am thinking of getting my bum measured for a new saddle.
I've only read about this (never had it done myself) so any thoughts/suggestions are welcome
e.g. have you had it done ?
Was it worth it etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had it done at a Specialized concept store. They just measure your sit bones = you sit in your cycling shorts on two pads and they use a gauge to determine what width saddle is needed

It is a starting point, it won't tell you whether a saddle will be right, just that your sit bones are supported in the right place

Was it worth it? Maybe but the one saddle I have bought subsequently is probably the least comfortable (and most expensive) of the 4 I have...but it is the right colour for the bike! I think I have standard width bones for a female, so my saddles were possibly the correct width already

screenman

Legendary Member
You can easily use a DIY method, pick a large shallow baking tray large enough for your bum to fit into. Mix some flour, eggs, butter and sugar together enough to fill about halfway up the pan, pour this into the pan and bake at gas mark 5 for 20 minutes, take out and allow to cool.

Place pan with slightly cooled contents on a chair, remove keks and lower your bottom onto the now cooked mix, stay still for a few minutes without moving, then gently raise yourself, hey presto you have a mould to take your measurements from.

If on standing some of the mix comes away with you, then I suggest carrying out the whole proceedings again from the start, this time greasing your bum.

The wife would not let me use one of her pans, so I went to a local bike shop, not a lot of use to you though as Lincoln is not local to you.

Must say I was pleased with the Botrager I bought after being measured.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You can easily use a DIY method, pick a large shallow baking tray large enough for your bum to fit into. Mix some flour, eggs, butter and sugar together enough to fill about halfway up the pan, pour this into the pan and bake at gas mark 5 for 20 minutes, take out and allow to cool.

Place pan with slightly cooled contents on a chair, remove keks and lower your bottom onto the now cooked mix, stay still for a few minutes without moving, then gently raise yourself, hey presto you have a mould to take your measurements from.

If on standing some of the mix comes away with you, then I suggest carrying out the whole proceedings again from the start, this time greasing your bum.

The wife would not let me use one of her pans, so I went to a local bike shop, not a lot of use to you though as Lincoln is not local to you.

Must say I was pleased with the Botrager I bought after being measured.

2 questions for you.............
1) Why do I have to let it cool down first???
2) I dont have a big enough baking tray.........can you post me yours???
And thank you soooo much for your help...........if more people we as helpful as you the world would be a much better place:bravo::banghead:

vickster

Legendary Member
Seriously, you can sit on some tinfoil on a step and measure between the points left by your sit bones

But getting measured, however you do it, really doesn't guarantee you'll find a comfy saddle (this assumes you have determined that the saddles on your new bikes aren't actually comfortable?!)

screenman

Legendary Member

That is a cracking shop, stopped in there once.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Mmmmm.......... me & Mrs. Jg had ours done at a Spesh store. I wasn't that impressed by the process (the youth didn't seem to know what he was doing) but I bought a seat at the recommended width and it's been perfect. Mrs. Jg didn't bother, she wasn't convinced.

Also had it done at a Bontrager stockists. The process was much more impressive as you get a multi-coloured pressure map of your arse to help you make the decision. I bought the recommended width Bontrager seat because they absolutely guaranteed to take it back if I didn't get on with it they were so confident that the fit would be correct. That seat hurt like hell.

Now anytime I come across a spesh seat on ebay that's the correct width I grab it cheaply knowing that it will be OK for me.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

Appreciate that...........thanks.
I did know they did the measure thingymajigs but are 20 miles away...........wondered if anyone in or around Warrington did it.
Seriously, you can sit on some tinfoil on a step and measure between the points left by your sit bones

But getting measured, however you do it, really doesn't guarantee you'll find a comfy saddle (this assumes you have determined that the saddles on your new bikes aren't actually comfortable?!)

Thanks
I did read that idea and will do it but.......if there is a LBS with proper bum measuring equipment it would be worth checking out.

vickster

Legendary Member
Appreciate that...........thanks.
I did know they did the measure thingymajigs but are 20 miles away...........wondered if anyone in or around Warrington did it.

Thanks
I did read that idea and will do it but.......if there is a LBS with proper bum measuring equipment it would be worth checking out.
Why not just call a couple of good LBSs locally and ask? Bit of initiative needed that doesn't involve baking ;)

jarlrmai

Veteran
I did the sit on foil on the carpet on the stairs thing, there's only a few sizes of most saddles unless you are getting a custom one made, all you need is a sit bone width estimate.

Top Bottom