Getting parcels delivered!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
City Link are rubbish. I had a long back an' forth with Terry Dolan trying to get a delivery. Dolan was really helpful and eventually we got it sorted, but not before I had faxed my press release over to City Link's offices.

SMS - secure mail service

they keep the mail secure by not handing it over to you. Ticketmaster use these clowns and i've never had them deliver to my house on the first go. the funny part is they send you a letter, via the regular post, to tell you to call them to arrange another delivery time! the other week the courier rang the entryphone, didn't answer when questioned who was there, didn't open the door when it was buzzed open and then rode off on his moped - with my (new) credit card. i called the head office and asked if they could contact him and tell him to turn around... "we can't do that, we have no way of contacting our delivery people". genius.

royal mail have lost a pressie i'd bought recently. but they're still the most convenient as (if they bother to leave a card) the delivery office is over the road.

What puzzles me with many of these carriers is why they leave a card saying they've tried to deliver and will try again tomorrow.

This might be a perfectly reasonable thing to do in a B2B business-to-business model, but if B2C business-to-consumer the likelihood is that you weren't in because you were at work and will be again tomorrow, so all they'll do is fail to deliver a second time : what a waste of effort !

So they fail to deliver twice, you ring them to rearrange delivery and are told they only deliver weekdays between 9 and 5, when you're not in because you're at work, won't deliver on Saturdays because the sender didn't pay for Saturday delivery, so yes your only alternative is to collect from the depot - I've gone 5 miles for some parcels, 30 for others, told them to stuff it and send it back with others.

At least with Royal Mail you can collect from the sorting office.

But whilst a Royal Mail division, Parcel Farce are no different to City Link, Reality (or whatever TNT or White Start or whatever they call themselves this week), etc.

If you know you are going to be out at work during the working day, why even try to have stuff delivered there? Surely that's asking for trouble?

Stick on a Giant said:
If you know you are going to be out at work during the working day, why even try to have stuff delivered there? Surely that's asking for trouble?
exactly! i never buy anything online that won't accept an alternative delivery address to your credit card billing address.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've got to catch the company fast with this 'we'll try again tomorrow' as you know it will be another day or two before it arrives - i.e. ring them and tell them you'll collect. I used to get stuff delivered to work, but my new place is too big and they would 'walk'. Unfortunately, this package was home delivery only..... gonna 'try' and collect it later...hmmmmmmm

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
alecstilleyedye said:
wonder which carrier will bring us the cyclechat jerseys?
Shaun is gonna hitch up a trailer to his bike and do a U.K. tour. Delivery charge will be a nice cuppa and an energy bar.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
We havent had much of a problem, but we had some stuff come when we were on holiday, and the person put a stroppy note through the door then took the package's round next door and had a go at the neighbour.

Lee Evans gets its right.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hubby is just back from the Royal Mail sorting Office ... the queue was enormous at 7.30 am. (Apparently its better than yesterdays queue that was going down the road.)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I fell lucky at city link - just two folk in front of me last night. One last parcel scheduled for Christmas Eve, but we are in.

Massive queue at 7.30 eh.....argh.....I'm going no-where near the big shops - off to the local green grocers for my veg today !

Joe

Über Member
summerdays said:
Hubby is just back from the Royal Mail sorting Office ... the queue was enormous at 7.30 am. (Apparently its better than yesterdays queue that was going down the road.)
I went to pick up a couple of parcels this morning. Thought I'd beat the rush and get there at 7:30am but it seems I wasn't the only one to have such a bright idea:blush:
Queued for an hour but I got my bits, unlike the woman in front whos parcels they appeared to have lost!

snorri

Legendary Member
I frequently see a private courier van go back and fore in front of my house until eventually the driver comes to me for directions.;)
I have never quite plucked up the courage to suggest he should put the package in the post for Royal mail to deliver.B)

Top Bottom