Getting power of attorney........any advice to make it smooth/easy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I didn't take power of attorney, but I just completed a letter which my mum signed confirming that she wanted me to have authority to discuss and act on her behalf and had all correspondence sent to my house. Worked really well for us. With her bank accounts I went on as joint holder. Made things so much easier. After she died and I had to deal with probate, I already had all the paperwork, so it made that part a lot easier too. Hopefully you have plenty of time before that becomes a factor.
Thats interesting.
Some big decisions to make here.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It can be done online, my sister has POA over my father with my consent, but if there was likely to be any relatives who appear out of the woodwork in the event of her demise using a solicitor is very wise, nothing seems to divide a family than the thought of some cash.
Yes.... she told me today that another relative has already suggested to her that they 'look after her affairs". I can see it hitting the fan when they find out :blush:. But I have broad shoulders :smile:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've thought about doing that with my kids, but I reckon I'll get a text message along the lines of, "we nearly had you a care home where the beds are nice and soft, but unfortunately the going at Sandown wasn't". :laugh:
HaHa.....I am 72 and we recently had a 'meeting' with our daughter & S.I.L. to give them an update on our affairs. Can't believe I will be doing this for someone else :ohmy:

HaHa.....I am 72 and we recently had a 'meeting' with our daughter & S.I.L. to give them an update on our affairs. Can't believe I will be doing this for someone else :ohmy:

Being serious, it's a compliment to you that they trust you. I keep telling my own parents, I'd rather see them spend every penny they've got enjoying themselves and being comfortable, than receive a brass farthing in their will. Luckily the rest of the family are of a like mind. My parents keep giving us money so they can see us enjoy it. I just pass it straight to the kids to help with house deposits etc. I absolutely refuse to get into an argument over finances of that nature,as it's disrespectful. If a relative decides to be greedy and challenge things, I'm more liable just to let them have it, and leave it it to lay on their conscience.

There are many things money just can't buy.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Being serious, it's a compliment to you that they trust you. I keep telling my own parents, I'd rather see them spend every penny they've got enjoying themselves and being comfortable, than receive a brass farthing in their will. Luckily the rest of the family are of a like mind. My parents keep giving us money so they can see us enjoy it. I just pass it straight to the kids to help with house deposits etc. I absolutely refuse to get into an argument over finances of that nature,as it's disrespectful. If a relative decides to be greedy and challenge things, I'm more liable just to let them have it, and leave it it to lay on their conscience.

There are many things money just can't buy.
Nice comment.
My family have told us the same and we help them out when possible.
TBH we dont need the aunty's money and will never spend what we already have. She told me "i feel so happy knowing you are doing this for me"......I could not say no to her.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I looked at getting POA on line for myself and having my son and wife as named executors. The process in Scotland at least seemed so cumbersome that I was totally discouraged from this route and we got a solicitor which was much easier. There has to be an element of trust but they will get all my assets eventually anyway.
In the meantime the forms lie dormant but require my permission to be implemented unless I am totally incapacitated. Without the POA in place there would be endless complication in the unfortunate event of my incapacity. The solicitor had to be satisfied in interview that I was of sound mind when agreeing to this arrangement.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@oldwheels can I ask how much the solicitor charged.
I have just spoken to the aunty's solicitor and they want £1000.00. A THOUSAND POUNDS seems a lot to me.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dave I cannot remember accurately but it was only a couple of hundred I think. This was a solicitor who had dealings with my family already so the charge may have been less than a one off. It is a somewhat convoluted process but they generally charge what they think they can get away with. You can get estimates so shop around and you should be able to gauge the average. I will see if I can find the cheque stub if it is still around.

Whilst it's often useful to instruct solicitors to do things, rather than doing it yourself, in the case of LPOAs it really is remarkably straightforward and it's not at all obvious to me what value a solicitor adds. Have a look at the LPOA forms and if you think you need professional, legal help in completing them then fair enough, use a solicitor, but I suspect you won't. As I recall, the base cost for registering each type of LPOA is a little under a hundred pounds, so any charge will be that plus hourly rate, which is easily going to add up to 'several hundred pounds'.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@oldwheels and @Sea of vapours
The solicitor in question has been her solicitor (as a company) for 50 years so aged 94 she sticks with them.
I think they are extremely expensive eg they want £200 to make one simple change to her will.
TBH I am only doing this as she insists I am the person she trusts but as she has a few bob I am happy to let a solicitor handle it.....at a fair price. I will shop around.
LPOA is £82 per section ie financial or health.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I had LPOA for my late Father's affairs a few years back. I did it all on line and it was quite easy. It also saved the solicitors fees which can be hefty. I had both, the health and welfare and finance. It saved a lot of fuss and as stated before you can use it how much or little as agreed between the parties.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

@oldwheels can I ask how much the solicitor charged.
I have just spoken to the aunty's solicitor and they want £1000.00. A THOUSAND POUNDS seems a lot to me.
Tell them to go play with each other, ought to be less than £200 (Edit:- @oldwheels says £300 which I still believe is on the expensive side). I'd be explaining that to your aunt & advise you are looking around, I would also ensure that they are not executors on the will, or when she goes it will be a good old hand rubbing day for them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We did it ourselves and it's quite cheap - but it's a bit of a pain getting it signed off by various witnesses.

TBH £1k doesn't surprise me - there is quite a lot of form filling (on-line), but given other family interests, then using a solicitor is safer. Remember, you want to be impartial, and there would be a cost in 'time' for you to fill everything in - it takes a few hours by the time you've gone over it and checked it, plus lots of pages to check.

Top Bottom