Getting power of attorney........any advice to make it smooth/easy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I did this to give my 2 boys lasting power of attorney over my affairs. I did this some years ago. It was very simple and didn't cost much. I did this now in case I the worst happens and I am unable to do it for myself. I think I paid £110 but that has been reduced to £82 now.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Tell them to go play with each other, ought to be less than £200 (Edit:- @oldwheels says £300 which I still believe is on the expensive side). I'd be explaining that to your aunt & advise you are looking around, I would also ensure that they are not executors on the will, or when she goes it will be a good old hand rubbing day for them.
I actually think they are executors.
What problems will that cause?

vickster

Legendary Member
Respect your aunt’s wishes about how she’d like it to be done. It’s about her wellbeing and affairs while alive, not how much will be left for the heirs.

We’ve done it for our parents. Loads of paperwork, sorted through their solicitors as they wished. We didn’t pay for anything, parents did

vickster

Legendary Member
That is my main concern.
What is?

If she wants everything done through the solicitors, then that’s the way to do it. If you can’t afford the £1000, and she has funds, then ask her to pay. I’m sure she doesn’t expect you to do it all yourself

D

Deleted member 26715

I actually think they are executors.
What problems will that cause?
It's not problems Dave, it's just if they charge £1K for a simply POA I hate to think how they will milk the account for probate & being executors, I understand they are clever people who make sure things are done right, but their charges are now outdated with the times we live in. In some ways solicitors are the latest Thomas Cook's waiting to happen.

johnblack

Über Member
What is?

If she wants everything done through the solicitors, then that’s the way to do it. If you can’t afford the £1000, and she has funds, then ask her to pay. I’m sure she doesn’t expect you to do it all yourself
It's actually a very good point. My solicitors told me to make sure my mum paid for everything, if they have a few quid left it's best that they pay for as much as possible to bring down the balance under the inheritance tax threshold.

I'd just always pay for things that my mum needed but was told to make sure I list them and charge them back to her account. I was told to include everything, fuel, parking, postage, everything.

Sounds kind of cold but made financial sense, which I wasn't thinking about but my solicitor certainly was.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
What is?

You have misunderstood.
My concern is that things are done as she wants. I also want to take the stress or worry away from her. She was greatly relieved yesterday just because I agreed to her request.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's actually a very good point. My solicitors told me to make sure my mum paid for everything, if they have a few quid left it's best that they pay for as much as possible to bring down the balance under the inheritance tax threshold.

I'd just always pay for things that my mum needed but was told to make sure I list them and charge them back to her account. I was told to include everything, fuel, parking, postage, everything.

Sounds kind of cold but made financial sense, which I wasn't thinking about but my solicitor certainly was.
Good sense that. Thanks

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's not problems Dave, it's just if they charge £1K for a simply POA I hate to think how they will milk the account for probate & being executors, I understand they are clever people who make sure things are done right, but their charges are now outdated with the times we live in. In some ways solicitors are the latest Thomas Cook's waiting to happen.
Myself and the aunty have a meeting with then next week.
One priority will be to get them to give a fixed cost. Its a simple estate as she lives in sheltered property so its basically whats in the bank plus a few knick knacks

si_c

Guru
Might be worth getting a quote from another local solicitors at a reasonable level and playing them off against each other. Suggest to them that the long term value of the account is worth more than milking a POA agreement, it's always worth highlighting that preying on the elderly is frowned upon by professional organisations.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Might be worth getting a quote from another local solicitors at a reasonable level and playing them off against each other. Suggest to them that the long term value of the account is worth more than milking a POA agreement, it's always worth highlighting that preying on the elderly is frowned upon by professional organisations.
Good point.....i have already made a phone call on that.
Biggest obstacle........her husband set the finances/bank up and appointed the solicitor before he died 45 years back. She cannot face or cope with changing these things.

D

Deleted member 26715

Good point.....i have already made a phone call on that.
Biggest obstacle........her husband set the finances/bank up and appointed the solicitor before he died 45 years back. She cannot face or cope with changing these things.
Which the solicitors know full well, hence their hand rubbing, once a new face appears & questions their motives they may change their stance.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I believe there is or was a significant difference between Scottish Law and English Law on this subject. I did look at DIY but formed the opinion that the Scottish system had been devised by lawyers for lawyers. ie it was virtually impossible for a lay person to navigate the hurdles and doing it online while not impossible was too difficult to bother with. Reams of paperwork plus certificated copies which had to go registered post.

Top Bottom