Getting rid of a golliwog doll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
And then some folks get offended, by other people trying not to cause offence.

Where does that come from??

Annoyance at their efforts??
I know right, who would have thought that so many white middle aged men would get so animated and upset when it's suggested that they may want to have a little think before they next play with their gollies.

MarkF

Guru
They are racist caricatures. They were never acceptable to begin with, and while we had the reasonable excuse of not knowing any better as kids, we don't now. And really, the 'wasn't it great?' nostalgia is not harmless fun in this context. Just get rid of it.

Yep. I used to collect Robertsons golliwogs as a kid, as did most of my pals, we used to swap them to enhance our own collection. Making the association with my "toys" to a black person would have been beyond my comprehension. I can recall the minstrels on TV too.

Now I am a lot older, faced with the same predicament, l'd be inclined to destroy it.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Thread on ignore..
You won’t see this.

Here’s a thought.....one of the great strengths of CC is that it brings together people of diverse views and backgrounds, although imo it could be more diverse. The upside of this is that people will disagree. I do find it odd when members get upset at other members getting upset. It seems like double standards. One way forward is to learn from others - I know after 62 years on this planet I’ve got much more to learn. Putting people or threads on Ignore won’t help this learning.

I, for one, think John Rawls had it right when he talked about liberty. ‘Each person is to have an equal right to the most extensive total system of equal basic liberties compatible with a similar system of liberty for all’. In other words post what you want but not at the expense of others.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I had Rolf Harris' autobiography and a number of his painting books. Once the scandal broke about him, they were mercilessly binned.
yup... my Rolf Harris LPs went the same way. All we have to do next is bin the rancid man himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom