Getting rid of a golliwog doll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
mm

if someone is asked an honest question mudsticks, honest as in not playing games/trolling either online or face to face, I think it's fair enough to hope for a polite answer - otherwise there might be a suspicion of game playing from the other side.

on the question, as it happens I asked about the POC phrase with three *** folk (insert correct phrase) who I natter to now and again in my local spoons - they seemed as bemused by the term as me - one of them told me it was an american phrase. I think the question came up as we somehow got onto the recent Dianne Abbot objection to the other description - and we may have got onto that somehow linked to the fraught brexit question - such are dim pub memories.

By the by, one of these three is a mischievous sod who take a delight in faking outrage at my supposed faux pax :smile: - while his two pals tell him to shut it :smile:

Levo-Lon

Guru
It's only sad whitey do gooders that gets offended.. Black people live in the real world.
Get over yourselves..

I've noticed if you say hello to foreigners, they smile and say hello back.. Yes, they dont have your feckin hang ups

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's only sad whitey do gooders that gets offended.. Black people live in the real world.
Get over yourselves..

I've noticed if you say hello to foreigners, they smile and say hello back.. Yes, they dont have your feckin hang ups

Do you really think "non-white" people aren't offended by Golliwogs?

I do despair at times

Milzy

Guru
They are racist caricatures. They were never acceptable to begin with, and while we had the reasonable excuse of not knowing any better as kids, we don't now. And really, the 'wasn't it great?' nostalgia is not harmless fun in this context. Just get rid of it.
There’s a car driving around with them all in the back window. I never thought anything of it.
Now I realise they must be racist insensitive cretins. :sad:

Milzy

Guru
Black doll or golly?
Just actual dolls. I guess that’s ok.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
mm

if someone is asked an honest question mudsticks, honest as in not playing games/trolling either online or face to face, I think it's fair enough to hope for a polite answer - otherwise there might be a suspicion of game playing from the other side.

on the question, as it happens I asked about the POC phrase with three *** folk (insert correct phrase) who I natter to now and again in my local spoons - they seemed as bemused by the term as me - one of them told me it was an american phrase. I think the question came up as we somehow got onto the recent Dianne Abbot objection to the other description - and we may have got onto that somehow linked to the fraught brexit question - such are dim pub memories.

By the by, one of these three is a mischievous sod who take a delight in faking outrage at my supposed faux pax :smile: - while his two pals tell him to shut it :smile:

You're right I think it is largely an American phrase.

And yes humour helps in all these situations.

I think most people can grasp the difference between us often flailing ineptly around, and getting it wrong sometimes, but with good heart and good intent.

And people game playing, or being underhand, and sneaky, to try and catch someone out, or do someone else over.

Most humans get that nuance.

But clearly not all, of em :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom