Getting rid of a golliwog doll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We are giving all her property to the charity of the Hospice that looked after her at the end, but are a bit worried if it would be OK to give the Gollie to them given the sensitivity to these dolls nowadays. My wife doesn't want to just dump it.

Are we being a bit over-sensitive or should we just be happy if it could raise some money for the Hospice?

Ask the Hospice.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Interesting breakdown by age, amongst other things. Attitudes are changing.

U

User6179

View attachment 460063
I collect Teddy bears. If you want them well looked after. I may be interested. PM me and we can discuss it.

I have a few for sale if you are interested ?

upload_2019-3-31_10-48-3.jpeg
upload_2019-3-31_10-48-28.jpeg
upload_2019-3-31_10-48-39.jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
For what it's worth, I was a kid when golliwogs were popular and I never detected a race based anything about them, but I don't think kids do.
But...and I'm no snowflake, I often think FFS, soft attitudes nowadays...but golliwog ? As an adult it's difficult to see how the last three letters can't be demeaning to people of colour. I have no problem with the doll itself, but the name ....no need IMHO.

vickster

Legendary Member
For what it's worth, I was a kid when golliwogs were popular and I never detected a race based anything about them, but I don't think kids do.
But...and I'm no snowflake, I often think FFS, soft attitudes nowadays...but golliwog ? As an adult it's difficult to see how the last three letters can't be demeaning to people of colour. I have no problem with the doll itself, but the name ....no need IMHO.
Is there a ‘not’ missing before ‘difficult’ perchance?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Cripes this post surprised me steve.
You were in the army and collected teddy bears?
Ever any comments?
I waited until I left the military before I started. But I was a police officer when I started collecting. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom