Getting rid of middle aged spread\belly fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 5047131, member: 9609"]well do more miles, do a hillier route, carry a bag of cement on your panniers, at some point you outgoings will be greater than you incomings and you will get slimmer. If not, then you have discovered the secret perpetual motion and you will be in the enviable situation of always being slimmer than your wallet.[/QUOTE]

Trying to out exercise your diet won't work either.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 5047342, member: 9609"]I'm trying to out eat my exercise and not doing too well at the moment.

I guess we're all different, I have always been the same in that there is a point with exercise/activity where I'm just skinny no matter how much I eat, it is as if my metabolism goes into a different mode. , below that activity level I have to be very careful with how much I eat.

I do agree though that the very first port of call in trying to loose weight is to cut back on the calories, however there does seem to be big differences between people in how easily there bodies store any excess food as fat.

No body can expend more energy than they consume without loosing weight. But some can eat more calories than they ever burn off and not put on weight.[/QUOTE]
I went on a 2 week cycling training camp in Spain with a mate. He is 5' 10" tall and weighs about 10 stone. I am 6' 1" tall and weighed about 13 stone at the time. I have a big appetite, but my skinny mate has a much bigger one. He was making himself toast before we went for the hotel's eat-all-you-like buffet breakfast. He would then eat a big bowl of cereal, more toast, a couple of bananas, fruit salad and yoghurt, croissants ... He always pinched a couple more bananas to take with him on the ride. He'd get back from the ride and make more toast and snack on nuts and raisins. Then we'd go to the evening buffet where he'd eat (say) a large piece of fish with fries and peas. Then he'd go back and get a steak, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, broccoli. Meal number 3 of the evening would be something else. Then it would be a bowl of ice cream, a milk shake ... He'd still be peckish so he's start on biscuits, chocolate, cake ... And if we stayed up late he'd make more toast back at our room ... His belly was so distended that he looked about 8 months pregnant.

I tried to match what he was eating but gave up and ended up averaging about half of what he did. (He'd told me that we needed to keep our energy stores topped up because we would be doing over 750 hilly miles while we were there.)

The result after 2 weeks? His weight remained exactly the same. I put on 4-5 pounds! :cursing: :laugh:

The conclusion that I came to was that he had a faster metabolism than me, but also that he probably wasn't even digesting half of his food properly.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 5047416, member: 9609"]there is definitely something going on with metabolism which does not fit in easily with calories consumed / calories burnt weight gain equation.

We know a woman who is beautifully slim, eats like there is no tomorrow, never exercises, and just stays the same shape - her mother is exactly the same. It is as though their bodies are not interested in storing energy as fat (somehow their ancestors must have got though the last ice age). Anyone else would turn into a barrage balloon with thier diet and lifestyle.[/QUOTE]

Current thinking is that it's much more complicated than we would like it to be, fuel in, power out, calories in, calories out - but we are not combustion engines.

Of the food we consume we do different things with it, depending on our lifestyle and genetics. The same with our output, our bodies release energy as it wants to, not necessarily as we need it to. It will regulate our output as it sees fit. If you've been starving yourself, the body will stop you from overexherting yourself to conserve energy stores.

Weird training regimes try to trick the body into doing more than it wants to, sometimes this works other times it causes damage.

All in all, if you're looking to be fitter, or rather look slimmer, a lower body fat percentage is the best way forward.

Sudden changes the body will rail against, gradual change over years will have longer lasting effects.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
[QUOTE 5047416, member: 9609"]there is definitely something going on with metabolism which does not fit in easily with calories consumed / calories burnt weight gain equation.

We know a woman who is beautifully slim, eats like there is no tomorrow, never exercises, and just stays the same shape - her mother is exactly the same. It is as though their bodies are not interested in storing energy as fat (somehow their ancestors must have got though the last ice age). Anyone else would turn into a barrage balloon with thier diet and lifestyle.[/QUOTE]

I'm skinny & always have been - others in the family are similar. I've recently given my DNA for a study into "thin-ness". The preliminary study seems to show that people with a tendancy to obesity have a fault on a certain part of a certain gene. The researchers are now working on a more detailled study.

Julia9054

Guru
I'm skinny & always have been - others in the family are similar. I've recently given my DNA for a study into "thin-ness". The preliminary study seems to show that people with a tendancy to obesity have a fault on a certain part of a certain gene. The researchers are now working on a more detailled study.
You could call it a variant of a gene rather than a fault. In times of famine they would be the ones with the genetic advantage.
There is also interesting current research into levels of a certain hormone which interracts with the brain causing us to feel full. People with low levels tend to overeat without realising.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
:sad:
Hi all

Looking on some advice on best way of reducing my belly.

On the whole people would think I’m very slim BUT I know I have a bit of a belly.

Know I’m not alone as a middle aged man (45) but find it really annoying that no matter what i do I can’t shift it from there.

I’m pretty fit and run , play football as well as cycle.
Diet is ok, don’t eat much fruit and vegetables but on other hand don’t have a lot of bad/junk food.
I know alcohol can be a big issue but only drink at weekends - bottle wine or few beers.

Anyone have any tips and advice? Or do I just accept that’s what happens with age as I still want to enjoy life and not give up all nice food and drink!

Take up smoking :laugh: .. I stopped smoking a year ago and have put weight on about a stone approx. Currently circa 100kg and 6ft . Fit as a fiddle cycle 100 miles a week at a brisk pace and also run when I can, approx upto 7-10 miles a week.

Anyway jokes aside , it’s the diet and alcohol. I suspect more to do with the sugary snacks for me :sad:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Current thinking is that it's much more complicated than we would like it to be, fuel in, power out, calories in, calories out - but we are not combustion engines.

Of the food we consume we do different things with it, depending on our lifestyle and genetics. The same with our output, our bodies release energy as it wants to, not necessarily as we need it to. It will regulate our output as it sees fit. If you've been starving yourself, the body will stop you from overexherting yourself to conserve energy stores.

Weird training regimes try to trick the body into doing more than it wants to, sometimes this works other times it causes damage.

All in all, if you're looking to be fitter, or rather look slimmer, a lower body fat percentage is the best way forward.

Sudden changes the body will rail against, gradual change over years will have longer lasting effects.

This mirrors both the advice I’ve been given and my practical experience after applying the advice.

I’ve shifted 26 pounds in 18 months by improving, not changing, my diet and certainly no “dieting.” I also understand what causes me to put on weight, alcohol, confectionery and junk food.

After 18 months I’ve reached a plateau. I’d like to drop another two pounds to 160 but simply can’t do it consistently. If I do manage to drop a couple more pounds I quickly look gaunt. If I have a “bad” week I gain around 3 pounds but can quickly shift that by a few days of no alcohol or chocolate!

I have friends who are looking to achieve weight loss and they fall in to two groups; the dieters, all regain lost weight, and the diet improvers who have all lost and maintain the loss.

I realise many people successfully “diet” but long term maintenance of the weight loss is the key to success. For me improving diet, achieving one’s “natural” weight allows the body time to adjust and prevents weight gain. By “natural” I mean the point at which one’s body is happy and doesn’t overreact to short term changes in diet.

A few holiday pounds are easy to shift it’s the underlying overweight which has to be tackled through longer term weight loss.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Booo no magic answers! Not sure I can face a life without any alcohol

More details on what I currently do

Food wise, I tend to have porridge for breakfast, then meal deal lunch ie sandwich, snack and lunch, dinner is normally some sort of homemade curry, bolognaise, chilli etc with rice or pasta and then maybe some kind of snack eg couple biscuits.

At weekends me and wife will share bottle wine on a Friday and Saturday or few beers or gin and tonics

Exercise wise I am currently playing 5 aside and running 5k twice a week.

So damn frustrating as it’s litera only my belly and most people would probably say I could do with putting weight on!!

I had another comment to make and so went to the beginning of the thread to read the OP. Then I spotted this post!

I recognise this diet - it was mine, 18 months ago and I believed I had a “healthy” diet as we made our own meals. To be blunt with this diet and your stated, low, exercise level it will tough, if not impossible to lose weight.

User46386 in her response gives you a good indication of the changes which are needed.

The secret to weight loss and consistent weight maintenance is to understand the fuel your body needs to provide you with the energy you use each day. You need to understand which foods your body can process to generate the energy without putting down fat stores.

I’m no expert but the principle is this. If your body feels it is not receiving adequate nourishment it will retain everything it can to ensure it has reserves to fall back on. These reserves are laid down as fat. Once you provide your body with the nutrition it needs storing fat will stop, you will lose weight and maintain the loss.

A combination of correct diet and nutrition, exercise and good hydration is the key to weight loss and control. Don’t underestimate the value of simple hydration - I drink two litres of water a day and now understand I was previously using tea, coffee and alcohol to give my body water!!!!!!

Perhaps the best way to illustrate my point is with cycling. I always used to return from rides ravenous and would eat anything in the fridge to satisfy the craving. Today I eat correctly to sustain my body’s needs and I’m never hungry after a ride, provided my feeding during the ride has been sensible.

If the body has cravings it is sending a message!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm obviously running low on the vital micronutrients that are only available in coconut Magnums. I must be, my body keeps telling me so. ;)
One of my children aged 5 suffered serious health issues including a spell on life support. Once out of the woods, Magnums were encouraged as high calorie sustenance. A full recovery followed - praise Walls.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm just about keeping the middle-aged belly in control at the age of 61 (still size 32 waist) by avoiding beer during the week and resisting snacking and sugary drinks. I find it helps to floss and clean my teeth after supper, which gives me the willpower not to snack later in the evening (and makes the bedtime routine a bit quicker as well).

Top Bottom