Getting rid of middle aged spread\belly fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Eat better.

Eat less.

Exercise more.

I keep mine under check by not eating between meals, avoiding fizzy drinks, not eating any snack that can be eaten straight out of a packet that can be eaten with no preparation, and running every other day. You need an iron will and a rock hard determination to make it happen.
I am an peanut with will/determination.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I am a bit older than you (70), but, been battling the bulge since 50-55.

My advice, don't try anything too extreme, chances are, unless you have excellent will-power, you will not stick with it.

I keep my bulge under control, with a mix of exercise and eating reasonably sensibly.

I cycle 60 miles / week, do a bit of gardening, and, a bit of (brisk) walking.

Food wise, I stick to three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner), no snacks.

I try to eat five portions of fruit/veg per day.

I avoid any packaged food with a fat content of more than 10% (check the label), only exception is mayonaise / Salad dressings which I use sparingly.

Have not given up the booze, but, have cut back on beer, Red Wine is good for you (that is my excuse).

CXRAndy

Guru
Men as they age naturally put weight around their middle. So it's a case of diet to reduce this fat. Unfortunately you can't choose where to lose fat so need to keep a low calorie diet for quite a while. Some facts - each pound of human fat has ~3500 calories. So to lose 2lb a week you need to calorie deplete 7000 calories from your diet or burn an extra 7000 on top of you regular calorie usage. Cut down carbs, increase protein. Eat no processed carbs/sugars. Also eat correct amount of fats per day.

I don`t want to hijack this thread, but I eat less eat better exercise more to the point of starving and exhaustion - it gets me nowhere!!!:banghead::banghead:

By what metric are you 2 stone over weight ? If it's BMI then don't worry about it too much .
I`m always in the "overweight" category no matter what I do, I`m stocky, always have been, and I hate it, but there is plenty of flab there too, handfuls of it, I could shift 2 stone easily, but there`s more chance of world peace happening than that:laugh::banghead:

I`m always in the "overweight" category no matter what I do, I`m stocky, always have been, and I hate it, but there is plenty of flab there too, handfuls of it, I could shift 2 stone easily, but there`s more chance of world peace happening than that:laugh::banghead:
Have contemplated slimming world more than once....................

[QUOTE 5047125, member: 9609"]just knock out a 150 to 200 mile a week and no mater how much you eat, people you know will keep looking at you in a quizical way and say something like, FFS you've lost weight, are you OK, you don't look well, mate you should see a doctor or something.[/QUOTE]
When I tell people about the mileage I do, I usually finish it with "well I should be like a twig really" in a jokey sort of way, and the response I usually get is "yep, true, what happened?"

That`s happened twice in the last week, and I really don`t find it amusing or funny

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Booo no magic answers! Not sure I can face a life without any alcohol
Food wise, I tend to have porridge for breakfast, then meal deal lunch ie sandwich, snack and lunch, dinner is normally some sort of homemade curry, bolognaise, chilli etc with rice or pasta and then maybe some kind of snack eg couple biscuits.

At weekends me and wife will share bottle wine on a Friday and Saturday or few beers or gin and tonics
Going through a similar crisis of visible belly fat after 25+ years of being a static waist size. I've a theory that it's down to sugar in snacks. We keep getting tubs of chocolates in at work, and I have a very sweet tooth...

vickster

Legendary Member
It`s a principle thing, I do 200 lumpy miles/week so why the hell should I have to??

I get so frustrated at times with this I`ve even thought about going on bloody hunger strike, just to spite my own body:wacko:
Because you want help to lose weight :wacko:

Or maybe you are simply the right weight for you. Forget BMI especially if you’re muscly!

Try the 5:2 diet maybe?

vickster

Legendary Member
Booo no magic answers! Not sure I can face a life without any alcohol

More details on what I currently do

Food wise, I tend to have porridge for breakfast, then meal deal lunch ie sandwich, snack and lunch, dinner is normally some sort of homemade curry, bolognaise, chilli etc with rice or pasta and then maybe some kind of snack eg couple biscuits.

At weekends me and wife will share bottle wine on a Friday and Saturday or few beers or gin and tonics

Exercise wise I am currently playing 5 aside and running 5k twice a week.

So damn frustrating as it’s litera only my belly and most people would probably say I could do with putting weight on!!

Try eating less carbs (cut out bread, pasta, biscuits etc), replace with veg?

Top Bottom