Getting started with Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FlatTyre81

Hi,I've just signed up to the forum and introduced myself on the newbies page http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/newbie-from-stockport.108173/#post-1975856

I'm going to try my current mountain bike with some better and slicker tyres to reacquaint my self with cycling after years of off. Hopefully once I do this I can consider a more road suitable bike.

Can anyone recommend what to start looking at new/second hand in terms of a decent beginners road bike. won't be in the market for a while yet, but I like to do my research. Any brands to stay well clear of?

What would be your essential bits of kit for getting started?

Lots of questions obviously as its all pretty new to me.

Thanks

Cubist

Still wavin'
How much can you realistically spend?

TVC

Like Cubist said, it depends what you want to spend. There really isn't such a thing as a 'beginners' road bike, and if you buy something right at the bottom of the market you will soon find yourself wanting something better pretty quickly.

As for essential kit - padded shorts and a decent pair of gloves are a must, the rest is down to personal taste and budget.

welcome :welcome:

sidevalve

Über Member
As above really, but if you haven't already got one get a track pump. clothing etc you can pick and choose to suit yourself but you're a bit stuffed with flat tyres [and on a road bike that's anything belowe 90 psi].

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Specialized Allez or Secteur are good bikes if you can stretch to 600. Allow another 100 minimum for shorts pump tools seat bag puncture repair kit and spare inner tube.

Dont waste money on cheap gear. Pump needs to be m,an enough for 120 psi Shorts will cost £30 plus to get decent pad.

OP
OP
FlatTyre81

FlatTyre81

How much can you realistically spend?

Yeah, quite a broad thread question. I think realistically around the £300 mark. Don't know anything about road bikes and what is reasonable amount to pay etc. I'm just scoping at the moment for potential outlay.

Top Bottom