Getting the right bike off ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

I'm (still) looking into a new (old) bike - probably from ebay. I have a couple of questions if I may.

The GF's MTB is a 15" frame, and with the saddle adjusted for the right height as regards the stretch of the leg to bottom of the pedal turn, there is about 6" of seatpost exposed - she finds that she is leaning forward a bit heavily onto the handle bars, so I'm thinking that maybe the handlebars should be a bit higher. I've worked out that the ideal frame size for her should be between 15 and 17" - whilst the saddle height would remain the same on a larger frame by not extending it as much - would there then be a higher handlebar height with a bigger frame? And would this make for a more upright riding position?

Is there much difference between the height of the bottom bracket between MTB's and Hybrid's?

And also - for my replacement - I need a much lighter bike than my steel MTB. Would there be much difference between say an Aluminium MTB and a steel hybrid?

I'm thinking that maybe getting a lightweight mtb with no suspension and putting road tyres on maybe a good option - I did think of getting an old racer - but the drop bars wouldn't suit me, neither would the stem shifters.

Top Bottom