Getting up hills, new cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ManxJason

Regular
Hello guys,

This question is one that's probably asked quite often, but, the answer i'm sure always varies depending on the rider asking it.

Well since I started cycling mid June I have ridden:

16 Rides
283 miles
Biggest climb: 1,251ft
Biggest ride: 38miles

My biggest ride was around the TT course (I live on the Isle of Man) which took me around 3.5 hours, smashing my previous ride of 25miles.

What i'm really struggling with is hills. I'm running a 9 speed Tiagra groupset with a 12-27 cassette, and my cadence on the really steep hills is awful. I find it incredibly hard to keep any kind of spin going, and when in my lowest gear just chug along up the hill, rotating muscle groups (pedalling normally 10ish turns, then heel down 10ish turns etc) to get up. I am yet to get off the bike and walk, and nor will I - I know if I allow myself to get off and walk once, I'll keep repeating it and never progress!!!! I normally try and stay in the saddle, but the most challenging of climb to date resulted in me having to get out the saddle, leaning over the bars and almost coming to a complete standstill.

So guys, should I consider changing to a 11-32? Although it's a Tiagra, I have read reviews stating that the 32 fits. Or should I persist.

Thanks

p.s. I weigh 220lb

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I take it that you have a double chainset. I would stick with it as at the moment as although you say you are struggling, you are getting up the hills. Stick with it and with a little more time your fitness will improve leaps and bounds.

arch684

Veteran
having a 30 or a 32 sprocket when your still getting fit is a big help or if your like me and getting on a bit

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As already said - get the new cassette and keep the old one in case you ever feel you would be better served by it.

There is no point whatsoever in slogging away at nigh on dead stop speeds - it's unlikely to do your knees any good at all.

The other alternative is to try flatter routes/less steep hills until you are fitter.

I don't buy into all this macho rollocks about toughing it out and the odd post about MTFU just because you can't get up a 1 in 4 with an 11-25 or whatever.

Cycling should be about fun and getting you fit(ter) not about screwing up your joints.

Last edited:

maltloaf

I changed my 12-28 for a 12-30 quite soon after buying my current bike as I was struggling with a few hills and I really believe it helped me progress. Having effectively one extra granny gear has meant I could spin up some hills I would have struggled badly at. My strength has improved steadily and I've been calling on that bottom gear less and less.

Almost a year on now I'm ready to go back to the 12-28 but I'm not ever sorry I went for the wider cassette.

Bryony

Veteran
I changed from a 12-25 to a 11-32 and I've noticed such a difference! I was seriously struggling with hills, I'm over weight and very unfit (although a little fitter than I was than when I first started cycling) and have a heart condition so building fitness is a lot slower than normal. I still struggle up some hills but not as much, I'm keeping hold of my old cassette as my aim is to eventually get fit enough to have it put back on.

Change to the 11-32 it will most certainly help you up the hills, and once you get fitter there is no need to change it back to your old cassette, you will just find that you will use less often the lower gears, but its nice to have them there. I would add here that for most beginners they have a habit of trying to stay in a high gear for too long, you have to learn to anticipate hills and select a lower gear at the beginning of the rising hill, rather than waiting until you are half way up and pushing hard on the pedals. All part of the learning curve.

Big Nick

Depends what school of thought you subscribe to

There's those that want to go out and 'suffer' up the hills and to them that's part of the fun

Or there's those that what to go out for a leisurely steady ride and take things a bit easier

If you're in the first group leave it as it is if the second swap it out

Top Bottom