Getting up hills, new cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Give it a go: Cassettes aren't expensive or difficult to fit. (Although you may need to buy a couple of tools)

If it doesn't work with your existing setup or you don't like it - take it off. Sell it on here.

You have nothing to lose but your pains.

maltloaf

I would add here that for most beginners they have a habit of trying to stay in a high gear for too long, you have to learn to anticipate hills and select a lower gear at the beginning of the rising hill, rather than waiting until you are half way up and pushing hard on the pedals. All part of the learning curve.

This is great advice. As soon as I started selecting the lowest gear I would need for the whole hill, I started to improve. Get in your climbing gear and sit back and just spin. You can always change up if needs be but once you've started grinding slowly and chasing downshifts, you're often already tired and the hill is ruined.

OP
OP
ManxJason

ManxJason

Regular
Thanks everyone. So i'm definitely going to try a new cassette out while I build up my fitness. The big decision then, 11-30 or 11-32. I guess the 11-30 is going to be a better fit for my existing RD.

thanks again

p.s. I have twin girls due in < 8 weeks time, so i'll probably halt at this fitness level for some time yet until I truly have time to devote to the sport

maltloaf

I started cycling again last summer after years away then my daughter was born in September. I didn't get back on the bike until almost December but then managed almost every day until February.

Han69

Regular
Give it a go: Cassettes aren't expensive or difficult to fit. (Although you may need to buy a couple of tools)

If it doesn't work with your existing setup or you don't like it - take it off. Sell it on here.

You have nothing to lose but your pains.
Or get an RD that will work with it they are not expensive either Sora-Tiagra-105 £17-27 range. I dont use a 32 on my triple but I know the 105 RD I have does go on to one as I ran with one for a day.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I've been cycling a year now on my 11-28 and I live in an extremely hilly area. I find the 28 just about ok but like you I have to get out the saddle now and again. Saying that I'm picking up a new Felt this afternoon which has 11-32. :smile: .......Should make light work of most hills with that bad boy

Han69

Regular
I've been cycling a year now on my 11-28 and I live in an extremely hilly area. I find the 28 just about ok but like you I have to get out the saddle now and again. Saying that I'm picking up a new Felt this afternoon which has 11-32. :smile: .......Should make light work of most hills with that bad boy
I get up most things on my 30x27 which is just a little shorter in gearing than a 34x30, but I have a much closer grouping for better cadence on the middle and outer rings, in fact i am very rarely off the middle ring ring apart from the steeper bits up and down my, 40th middle covers from 39-88" three gears lower on the 30th inner ring and four gears longer on the 52th ring

bpsmith

Veteran
Going for the largest is great for ultra steep hills, but you then relinquish closer ratios between the remaining sprockets. It's always a balancing act, but personally I would go with the smallest big sprocket that covers my needs. Presently that's and 11-28 on a compact, but had a 12-30 on there initially.

Han69

Regular
Going for the largest is great for ultra steep hills, but you then relinquish closer ratios between the remaining sprockets. It's always a balancing act, but personally I would go with the smallest big sprocket that covers my needs. Presently that's and 11-28 on a compact, but had a 12-30 on there initially.
A 12-27 or 12-28 gives a better ratios as it will give another gear in the middle even a 48x12 is a good high gear for most situations.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
once you've started grinding slowly and chasing downshifts

Good point. Whatever the size of your biggest sprocket, it isn't going to be any help if you're already on the hill, pushing hard against gravity in too high a gear and can't ease up enough to get a clean change down.

Yes. There is a skill in picking the right gear early enough to be able to pin the cranks at the right cadence to get you up without too many crises. Timing your effort is also important, as well as keeping your speed.
You might learn these things best by riding a fixed gear.

byegad

Legendary Member
having a 30 or a 32 sprocket when your still getting fit is a big help or if your like me and getting on a bit
Couldn't agree more. Having a granny gear that will get you up the worst of climbs without risking a heart attack makes hills slower but always do-able.
I run 11-34 on all my trikes with a triple up front that gives me silly low gears. My 12" bottom gear on the Trail will see me up any hill.

Top Bottom