Getting worried.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I haven't ridden my bike for a month now due to bad weather and other commitments and I am getting a bit concerned as we are booked to do the Isle of Man TT course on May 11th. I know it is only 37 miles long but with very little training , it will be hard. At least, days are getting longer now and the weather should improve but I have lost a bit of my motivation too and keep finding excuses to delay my outings. Would going out 3 times a week be enough to get fit again? I was thinking of doing 2x15 miles week days and a longer ride at weekend.

Milzy

Guru
I haven't ridden my bike for a month now due to bad weather and other commitments and I am getting a bit concerned as we are booked to do the Isle of Man TT course on May 11th. I know it is only 37 miles long but with very little training , it will be hard. At least, days are getting longer now and the weather should improve but I have lost a bit of my motivation too and keep finding excuses to delay my outings. Would going out 3 times a week be enough to get fit again? I was thinking of doing 2x15 miles week days and a longer ride at weekend.
You will be fine. I once ran a 35 mile ultra with no training & placed 9th out of 110.
Just do as you have prescribed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll be fine. I've ridden it in the Cycling Weekly International Mountain Time Trial, 2 or 3 times. Oh it's a cracking descent !

It's fairly undulating until you hit the mountain. Not steep, but how hard depends on the wind. Flew up in the big ring first time with a slight tail wind, but the next year was a right grovel with the wind.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I did the Cape Argus race in Cape Town three times after UK winters of very little cycling as it takes place on the second Sunday of March every year. It's 110 kms with five quite long hills but despite the lack of serious preparation I managed respectable times of just under 4 hours. That's around 17 mph average. Your base fitness is always there, don't worry.

Katherine

Guru
Go for a ride and see how you feel.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I did the Cape Argus race in Cape Town three times after UK winters of very little cycling as it takes place on the second Sunday of March every year. It's 110 kms with five quite long hills but despite the lack of serious preparation I managed respectable times of just under 4 hours. That's around 17 mph average. Your base fitness is always there, don't worry.

Did you place in the top ten?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I will be using my Cube Peloton as it has the best granny gears of my 3 bikes: 30/32. The Specialized Roubaix has 34/32 and the Allez 30/30.

Take a few cable ties and some gaffa tape with you, strap a 1000cc engine into your bike, and you will be good to go. They like that sort of thing in the Isle of Man, apparently.....

Top Bottom