Ghetto tubeless.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Ive just learnt what ghetto tubeless is.

Who has tried it and was it a disaster?

Not tried it as I dont like the throught of the mess that Duck Tape will make on the rim. You can get Stans tape (without the Stans name) cheap enough online (4x length for half the price) which is mess free so I don't see it as worth doing a ghetto way.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why do you want to try tubeless?

I keep being tempted but upon reading more I always get put off because the pitfalls seem to outweigh the benefits.
  • You have to top-up the fluid occasionally.
  • There is a mess to clean up when it comes time to replace the tyres.
  • It makes swapping tyres a bigger job (and this will also use more sealant).
  • If you get a flat that the sealant can't cope with then you are left to remove the valve and put in a traditional innertube into the messy tyre anyway (so you still have to carry a tube and pump).
  • Getting the tyres to mount on the rim in the first place can be tricky, so tricky that they even sell special pumps for the job now - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-airblast-tubeless-tyre-track-pump-black-one-size Try doing that by the roadside!
  • The tyres cost way more.
Once you start to think about it the thought soon dawns, WHY? The innertube method is simple and effective and works. It doesn't matter where you are in the world, you will probably be able to find a replacement tube to do the job in the case that you can't fix your existing tube with a couple of pence worth of patches.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why do you want to try tubeless?

I keep being tempted but upon reading more I always get put off because the pitfalls seem to outweigh the benefits.
  • You have to top-up the fluid occasionally.
  • There is a mess to clean up when it comes time to replace the tyres.
  • It makes swapping tyres a bigger job (and this will also use more sealant).
  • If you get a flat that the sealant can't cope with then you are left to remove the valve and put in a traditional innertube into the messy tyre anyway (so you still have to carry a tube and pump).
  • Getting the tyres to mount on the rim in the first place can be tricky, so tricky that they even sell special pumps for the job now - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-airblast-tubeless-tyre-track-pump-black-one-size Try doing that by the roadside!
  • The tyres cost way more.
Once you start to think about it the thought soon dawns, WHY? The innertube method is simple and effective and works. It doesn't matter where you are in the world, you will probably be able to find a replacement tube to do the job in the case that you can't fix your existing tube with a couple of pence worth of patches.
I have tubeless on my CDF and it worked twice in one week during the winter. I stopped and put a bit of air in the tyre and off I went. It saved me having to fix a puncture at 5am in the freezing cold. I have added some sealant and that was quick, simple and clean. Unlike fixing Jannies rear puncture in the rain last weekend.

I am certainly converted to tubeless.

mgs315

I’ve just got tubeless on the new TCR. Not had a problem so far barring having to sweat like a pig with the track pump getting the front back up after adding sealant but not looking forward to getting any punctures. Hoping I don’t get any anytime soon. Tbh I’ve only ever had a couple when using clinchers and didn’t exactly mind changing them so I’ll probably go back to clinchers when I wear these tyres out, provided I can get clinchers on the rims easy enough.

If not they’re Giant PR2s so wouldn’t mind saving 500g on a new full set anyway.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@steveindenmark what wheelset are you planning on going ghetto on and crucially what pressures?

si_c

Guru
Like @I like Skol I'm constantly tempted with tubeless, but need to infrequently change the tube anyway. Twice in the past 12 months, having done several thousand miles.

Jan Heine of BQ doesn't think that high pressure tubeless is a great solution for road tires, and he doesn't think anything above 60psi for 35c, and not for anything narrower

Bodhbh

Guru
On my MTB sure, no way would I try at road bike pressures. I run proper tubeless on half of my road bikes, ghetto on one MTB and proper tubeless on another.

^^ This. When I first tried setting up my commuter ghetto tubeless, I wasn't aware even proper tubeless rims are only rated to about 40psi (unless it's a road specific system). So first time I tried it (42mm hybrid tyre on 29er rim) it seals properly, I pump it up to 50 or 60psi and there's no apparent problem, but 5mins later there's a bang and sealant all over the kitchen ceiling. It was the front wheel, so if I'd been riding that'd been a trip to A & E.

My half a dozen noobie experiments with ghetto tubeless on the MTB are it's pot luck 50/50. It may work straight away, you may spend all weekend p*ssing about with it....then you go for a ride and spend all the ride p*ssing about with it. Personally, now I wouldn't bother with ghetto and try to get all my ducks in a row setting up so it's as painless as possible, i.e. tubeless rims, tyres, valve, and rim tape, an Airshot/compressor, soapy water, etc. Getting the LBS to do it is always an option too...

Pluses - lighter, rolls better, less puctures. If you'd asked me a year ago I may have said otherwise, but now I've been thru the learning curve very happy with tubeless.

Top Bottom