Giant CADEX CFR-3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
'Old' rather than 'vintage' (1995) but I just got this off ebay and wanted to get some opinions/advice.

I can't find much information about this model on the web, but It has carbon fiber main tubes and alloy rear triangle and forks.

It seems to have decent quality components, gearing is campagnolo veloce 9 speed (the seller told me it was originally campag mirage, but had been upgraded at a later date)
It has Cinelli bars and stem, campag omega wheels and a rather vintage looking 'Milremo Professional' brown leather saddle.

cadex_1.jpg

cadex_2.jpg

cadex_3.jpg

cadex_5.jpg

I paid £250 for it which seemed like quite a lot for such an old bike, but it really is in lovely condition, and has obviously been someones pride and joy. For only £50 more I could have had a brand new btwin triban 3 from Decathalon, but I somehow doubt that it would have been a significantly better bike than this.

I just took it out for the first time this evening - a sunny 20 miles in the Cheshire lanes round Marbury,Arley and Budworth - a cracking ride and everything is working beautifully ^_^

So now my old Peugeot has another vying for my affections, one that's a bit younger, a few pounds lighter and with a sprinkling of Italian panache - good job I've got enough room in the shed to keep both of them!!

If anyone has any knowledge of this model and can pass on any hints and tips it would be appreciated. One thing that is puzzling me a bit is the headset, it's a design I've not seen before:

doubleLockHeadset.jpg

It is obviously original because it has the Giant logo on (along with 'Tien Hsin' - presumably the manufacturer) and the words 'Double Lock' there are 2 small allen screws in the white nut securing it to the stem - has anyone come across one of these before?

Finally, I'm undecided about the white bar tape and the saddle, do you think it would look better with black bar tape and a more 'modern' looking saddle?

raindog

er.....
Don't know about "has obviously been someones pride and joy", rather it looks like it's hardly been used.
That is a strange saddle for such a bike. Probably someone's favourite from an older bike. It's classy though, and looks like it might be pretty comfortable, so why not try it out and do a few rides first before making a decision? Finally, if you don't want it, can you chuck it my way? It would look really cool on my Italian steel.^_^

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I had one of them- lovely, fast fast bike. However, some of them can be a tad fragile- mine and someone else i know seperated the bottom headtube lug from the downtube. It can be repaired but it's something to be aware of.

But it does look very very new. and nice.

OP
OP
Steve Malkin

Steve Malkin

Veteran
if you don't want it, can you chuck it my way? It would look really cool on my Italian steel.^_^

Cheers raindog,
I'll give it a go for a while and see if it grows on me, but If I do decide to ditch it, Ill give you a shout

some of them can be a tad fragile- mine and someone else i know seperated the bottom headtube lug from the downtube. It can be repaired but it's something to be aware of.

Thanks dan_bo I have seen a few horror stories about these early bonded carbon frames falling apart, but they do seem to relate mainly to bikes that have been ridden hard. This one doesn't look like it's had a hard life, and it certainly won't be getting any abuse from me - the bike may be 'fast', but the rider is slooooow so fingers crossed!

Top Bottom