Giant Contend AR Seat Angle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WindyJonah

I recently bought a Giant Contend AR and am very happy riding the wonderful trails in the Hudson Valley of New York State, I've been playing with adjustments to the seat, tweaking the seat height and fore and aft. I have been finding myself sliding down the horn so I checked out seat angle which one should be able to adjust on the D-Fuse equipped Contend seat post. It angles down fine but I don't want to do that so angling it up seemed like the thing to try...and I can't. Figuring it was me I ended up taking the single bolt style seat off. Looking closely at the rocker, the bolt, and the slot in the top of the seat post I could see that the bolt would be at the end of its travel in the slot with the seat more or less horizontal.

My question is does this make sense? Perusing Internet seat angle adjustment videos suggests that a seat can be angled in both directions. But maybe Giant wants their D-Fuse seat post to be unique in more than one way...?

My next step is to my dealer but I would appreciate comments, especially from Giant road bike owners, before the dealer tells me, "yup, that's the way they are".

Thanks!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Keep saddle effectively horizontal. Set back (slide seat back) will, counter-intuitively, keep more of your weight on the seat and reduce the inclination (swidt) for you to "slide down the horn".

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WindyJonah

Ajax Bay, thanks! Seat actually is slid all the way back and is counter-intuitive as you say. My seat curves up in the back (sort of reminds me of the cantle on the back of a Western-style saddle) and that's what I feel like I'm sliding down rather than sitting on. I've seen a few bike saddles like that although most seem to be flat all the way. And I realize that there can be several factors involved: the reach may be a bit too long which might be fixed with a shorter stem, the hoods might be a bit too far forward, etc. And I did get distracted when I could only change the seat angle in one direction. Maybe, unless anyone else has any other suggestions, I'll get the bike on the trainer and make some adjustments and photos.

Top Bottom