Giant D-Fuse seat post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jay1978

It's mostly carbon, yes....

It's the whole circumference of the seat post that you apply the paste to, (but obviously at the level where it sits just out of sight). Some of the paste does need to contact that wedge.

On the picture below I've marked my saddle height (at the red line), then raised my saddle, and I'd then apply the assembly paste at the yellow area, all the way around the post, before dropping it to the correct level and tightening the bolt.

It'll feel gritty / sandy as you push the saddle down.

View attachment 529448

OP
OP
J

jay1978

That’s awesome, thanks so much for the help. That makes sense now. Fingers crossed it works :-)

YLondon

That’s awesome, thanks so much for the help. That makes sense now. Fingers crossed it works :-)
Any luck? I’m having the same problem with my new contend SL disc. Driving me mad. Already had the seat post replaced because the giant store improperly secured it and damaged as a result. But now constantly creaks about 15 minutes into a ride and never stops.

OP
OP
J

jay1978

Hiya YLondon,

I used some carbon assembly paste but also replaced the wedge. It got rid of it but after about 100 miles it’s back and really p*****g me off! I’ve got a seat post on order so will try that. It’s so annoying isn’t it.
mom going to get the bike a full a service at the local bike shop just to see if anything crops up. I’m convinced it’s the seatpost or saddle clamp though.

YLondon

Thanks for the update. I’ve ordered some carbon grip paste and am going to a local bike shop to get it checked too. Will let you know if I have any luck.

YLondon

@jay1978 I troubleshooted this with my local bike shop and we believe the issue is with the aluminium tube part of the frame where the seat post inserts. There’s a patch of rough finishing on the interior of the aluminium tube that looks like it’s creating friction and damaging the carbon seatpost. I’ve tried contacting the giant store I purchased it at but haven’t heard back yet.

OP
OP
J

jay1978

This will probably make me seem like a complete idiot but I don’t mind and hopefully it might help someone else who has the same problem. Turns out the headset was slightly loose, quick tighten and all good! I was convinced it was the saddle area. Rookie mistake :-) thanks for all the replies though

Bonz

I have a Giant Toughroad gravel bike (2019) with one of these seat clamps and yes mine started creaking about 100 miles after I got it brand new. It was driving me nuts! After trying everything I finally found a solution that's been working for me all summer: Take the seat post and clamp out, wipe down and clean everything really, really well (especially the inside of the wedge parts).
Then, spray the front side and inside of the 3 pieces of the D wedge with DRY lube. Don't put lube on the back side of the post. I put hair spray on the back side and on the seat post just to add some stickiness to ensure there is no slippage, and try to insert the post and wedge as quickly as I can before the hair spray dries. This treatment has to be repeated every 50 to 100 miles or so. As soon as I start to hear a faint creak, I repeat the above process. I found this advice on another forum, so I can't take credit for it...but it works, so I wanted to share.

Top Bottom