giant defy 1 creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Defy 2, checked, loose, tightened. We'll see on this afternoons commute if that sorts the creaking which was definitely, no doubt about it, with absolutely certainty coming from the head set..........which I couldn't sort out. Nice one @Chris1972 :thumbsup:

I lost the second of those tiny screws (hadn't noticed the creaking over the noise the mudguards made, I guess) in the long grass by the side of the road 184km into a 600km audax.

Thanks to some clever fettling at a cycle shop, I did get back in the ride, but finished well out of time.

tony mould

Regular
I lost the second of those tiny screws (hadn't noticed the creaking over the noise the mudguards made, I guess) in the long grass by the side of the road 184km into a 600km audax.

Thanks to some clever fettling at a cycle shop, I did get back in the ride, but finished well out of time.
I had one of these tiny screws come out and replaced, and have experienced bouts of creaking too. My LBS said that this was where the noise was coming from, and a tightening worked for a short time but is back when I get out of the saddle and put pressure on the pedals. These screws are not man enough for the job.

tony mould

Regular
Just an update on my lost post concerning the Giant Defy creaking noise. I have had my bottom bracket greased and skewers replaced with shimano, which apparently give a tighter fit than the stock Giant ones, these will offset any shortcomings that the tiny screws give. I have had no creaking since.

huwsparky

Über Member
I have the same problem. I found those 2 little screws loose after my second journey on the bike from new.

I've also got a creaking noise so I guess I'll check those two bad boys first to see if they sort the problem.

They do seem inadequate for the job they are doing I have to say.

North

I've just signed up here to say a MASSIVE THANKS to OP Chris1972... I thought I'd google my creaking issue before completely disassembling my bike and found this thread. Turns out one of the derailleur screws was loose and needed replacing ... Quick trip to my lbs and problem solved. It was driving me mental, not anymore! Thanks bro.
I had the same issue. Thanks to this forum I checked and found that the 2 dérailleur screws were loose as well. A little loctite blue and I thought the problem was solved. After about 15 minutes of riding the tick returned. A giant rep said that it was important to ensure " the seat post had carbon grease on it that they'd had lots of complaints about noisy frames. Tried this and it seemed to fix it. The next week I had the wheels off my bike for cleaning and reinstalled as normal. Next ride after about 15-20 minutes the tick started again. I remembered my bike mechanic suggested tightening the wheel skewers a little more than I would normally tighten them. I re tightened the rear wheel skewer a little more and it solved the problem. I ink this must have to do with the frame geometry of the disc brake model.
In any event if you still have a noisy frame try tightening the rear wheel skewers. Pretty simple fix if it works for you

Technaut

Hi - just signed up to say I had the same issue on a Giant Deft Advanced 1 (2015).

You would never think such a noise would come from 2 shitty screws.

Thanks to the OP and forum, would have taken a trip to LBS as I couldn't trace it. :smile:

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Thanks to the op think that I caught mine just in time , bikes only 8 weeks old , I released the quick release to enable me to get to the 2x silly little screws & must of got 1/2 dozen turns on the screws to tighten so guess that I was lucky not to lose them though don't think they would actually fall out as they're trapped in by the wheel nut something to keep an eye on for sure I will be checking weekly from now on :smile:

image.jpg
O

Sharles

Hey all sorry to bump an old thread,
I've had the same problem as described (Defy 1), did a bunch of re-greasing and tightening of the things suggested here but to no avail.
I removed the (FSA) cranks last night to grease the spindle and didn't put the wave washer back on, to my surprise the click disappeared. After putting the washer back in place the creak came back. However with some extra tightening I seemed to be able to get the click to remain more or less quiet, the grease on the spindle may have helped too.
I'm wondering if the washer is slightly cracked or something so I'll look at replacing the wave washer in the next few days, but at the moment at least the noise is gone.
Just thought I'd mention it in case it helped anyone else.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I was hearing a 'click click's sound when putting weight on my Defy's bars and was sure it was coming from the bit where the stem connects to them. Only stopped after I took the headset apart, cleaned and reassembled it. Bikes are like ventriloquists, they can throw their noises.

Top Bottom