Giant Defy 1 Disc 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Swift

Just ordered the Defy 1 disc on cycle to work scheme, Carnt wait to get it and start getting more miles in. My old triban 5 sadly was stolen .

Has anyone got this bike hear? What are your thoughts on it?

I originally was looking at a cannondale or focus or willer from another LBS, their service wasn't the best..... Went to my 1st LBS after and they are a giant retailer (had the giant on shortlist) and there friendliness knowledge and willingness to help sold the giant.

I'd be greatful of your comments.

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Its a great bike.... spot on.. nice looking and light...gears change great

DRM

Guru
congratulations, I have the 2014 Defy 3 composite, it's a really comfortable bike to do long rides on, I have fitted a Selle Italia saddle and replaced the original tyres with Continental gp4000s tyres, mine has rim brakes, so yours should stop really well with discs, I think you will definately like it.

Mike!

Guru
Just ordered the Defy 1 disc on cycle to work scheme, Carnt wait to get it and start getting more miles in. My old triban 5 sadly was stolen .

Has anyone got this bike hear? What are your thoughts on it?

I originally was looking at a cannondale or focus or willer from another LBS, their service wasn't the best..... Went to my 1st LBS after and they are a giant retailer (had the giant on shortlist) and there friendliness knowledge and willingness to help sold the giant.

I'd be greatful of your comments.

Ordered one of these myself on Wednesday, should pick it up early next week - it will become my commuter / wet weather bike, what sold it for me is the ability to fit proper mudguards, the defy disc with the alloy frame has proper mounts all round front and rear ^_^

Mike!

Guru
Thanks for all your replys.

Carnt wait to get it next week either Mike. Are you going for the giant mud guards?

I actually picked it up yesterday, was delivered to the store and built very quickly. 50 mile ride today and it was great!

I've not fitted mudguards yet but the shop have recommended the standard defy ones, i will be checking clearances and space before deciding what to go for. i'm hoping i can squeeze some sks under the front fork but it might be a little tight.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

I actually picked it up yesterday, was delivered to the store and built very quickly. 50 mile ride today and it was great!

I've not fitted mudguards yet but the shop have recommended the standard defy ones, i will be checking clearances and space before deciding what to go for. i'm hoping i can squeeze some sks under the front fork but it might be a little tight.

Cool Mike.... im gonna get the giant mud guards.
How was the 50 miler on the bike? As im upgrading from a btwin triban 5 im expecting a massive difference. Longest ride was 32 miles on that im hoping by may to hit a 50 miler on defy.

Mike!

Guru
How was the 50 miler on the bike? As im upgrading from a btwin triban 5 im expecting a massive difference. Longest ride was 32 miles on that im hoping by may to hit a 50 miler on defy.
The position was certainly comfortable, I changed the saddle to my preferred one before setting off and had no issues at all over the 50 miles. I will probably drop the bars slightly and will certainly be changing the white bar tape for black asap. More vibration felt than my best full carbon bike but that's to be expected with an alloy frame, although certainly wasn't anything to worry about or that caused me any problems.

It got a lot of admiring comments from my club mates, everyone loved the colour!

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Pretty sure it won't make any real difference to how far you can ride.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

The position was certainly comfortable, I changed the saddle to my preferred one before setting off and had no issues at all over the 50 miles. I will probably drop the bars slightly and will certainly be changing the white bar tape for black asap. More vibration felt than my best full carbon bike but that's to be expected with an alloy frame but certainly wasn't anything to worry about or that caused me any problems.

It got a lot of admiring comments from my club mates, everyone loved the colour!

Excellent Carnt wait to get mine and get some miles in, gonna contact HR Tomoz to get expected date lol. Bike shop have it in and waiting for me.

Top Bottom