Giant Defy 1 Disc 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
Thinking of putting lizardskins on mine either black or blue tape?

yeh noticed that, whats the plastic disc for?

Put some Fizik on mine, considered blue but prefer to match bar tape and saddle (plus anything but black is a nightmare on a commuter / bad weather bike)

The disc is there to stop the chain being thrown into the spokes, if you adjust gears correctly it's not needed!

Also considering removing the stickers on the wheels so it's a bit less bling!

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Put some Fizik on mine, considered blue but prefer to match bar tape and saddle (plus anything but black is a nightmare on a commuter / bad weather bike)

The disc is there to stop the chain being thrown into the spokes, if you adjust gears correctly it's not needed!

Interesting.... the tape will be changed on mine eventually.
The plastic disc will be removed too at some point lol.

Aghhh had confilmation today that my c2w voucher will be released in april.... summin 2 do with the new financial year so more waiting for me.

Bike shop have the bike set asside for me untill then.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Btw what saddel did you go for?

WheelieBoy

Hi guys! I've had my Defy 1 disc for 3 months (about 250miles) now and I was wondering how you're getting on with it, as I'm having an ongoing issue with the braking power, since I bought it the braking power was very poor but the Giant shop advised the brakes would need to bed in, furthermore two members of the staff tested it and didn't see any problems but the amount of force you have to put on the levers to stop is enormous, particularly when riding on the hoods. I've tried some other road bikes with rim brakes and I can stop much easier. You'd think the brakes would be spot on being the selling point of this bike. Interestingly I've not seen anybody online with the same issue.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for reading!

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

What saddle do you have now? Or in the past? A good place to start as they are so individual. You can put anything that suits your bum on a defy

Ive just got the standard saddle on the giant, its much more comfy than my old bike. So don't really have anything else to compare it too

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Hi guys! I've had my Defy 1 disc for 3 months (about 250miles) now and I was wondering how you're getting on with it, as I'm having an ongoing issue with the braking power, since I bought it the braking power was very poor but the Giant shop advised the brakes would need to bed in, furthermore two members of the staff tested it and didn't see any problems but the amount of force you have to put on the levers to stop is enormous, particularly when riding on the hoods. I've tried some other road bikes with rim brakes and I can stop much easier. You'd think the brakes would be spot on being the selling point of this bike. Interestingly I've not seen anybody online with the same issue.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for reading!

Im no expert, however they are properly still bedding in, ive only done 42 miles on mine so far due to 2 illnesses since getting bike, ive had Bronchitis and Norovirus. My giant bike shop advised me to put atleast 500 miles on before my 1st service.

Im hoping to get some miles on it the next few weeks so ill repost once mine are bedded in etc.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Nice bike !

Defy 2 advanced owner here , I to was blown away by the service that I recieved by my not so local Giant store that's certainly why they got my money , the after sales service , the bike fit service was fantastic !

Hope you enjoy as much as I do mine

JohnnyRoyal

Im no expert, however they are properly still bedding in, ive only done 42 miles on mine so far due to 2 illnesses since getting bike, ive had Bronchitis and Norovirus. My giant bike shop advised me to put atleast 500 miles on before my 1st service.

Im hoping to get some miles on it the next few weeks so ill repost once mine are bedded in etc.

Hello
Just wanted to ask how you are getting on with the Giant Defy 1?
I am looking to buy one through CTW as well. I have a Boardman hybrid which I use for my commute to work. But I want to expand the miles and complete a few sportives.
So any advice would be good to how pleased you are and if it is a comfortable bike and worth investing my money in?
Thanks
John

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Nice bike !

Defy 2 advanced owner here , I to was blown away by the service that I recieved by my not so local Giant store that's certainly why they got my money , the after sales service , the bike fit service was fantastic !

Hope you enjoy as much as I do mine

Yes love it ... its amazing. Makes me smile just looking at it lol.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Hello
Just wanted to ask how you are getting on with the Giant Defy 1?
I am looking to buy one through CTW as well. I have a Boardman hybrid which I use for my commute to work. But I want to expand the miles and complete a few sportives.
So any advice would be good to how pleased you are and if it is a comfortable bike and worth investing my money in?
Thanks
John

Good evening John
I am blown away with the defy 1 disc i only really had my old btwin triban 5 to compare it with however everything about the defy 1 disc is amazing. Its very comfy too... i noticed a hudge difference from sora to 105 gears too. I can see why Giant are selling loads of bikes... however other manufactures are too. The defy 1 disc has been in several online articals i think road cc website as one of the best bikes u can buy for around the 1k mark. Go to a giant shop and try one out. My lbs is a giant shop the service and time they took with me before i even choose a bike was 2nd to non.... the other lbs (15 miles away near where i work) was not giant n basically said hears 4 bikes that suite ur needs/budget when uve choosen one let us know.

Let me know what you decide. I already know 2 others who have purchased the defy 1 disc.

Top Bottom