Giant Defy 2 advanced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
is there anything new for £800 that'd come anywhere near the Defy 2 advanced (new current model) with 105 running gear

OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
Yes 55.5 is a L. At 5'10 I would have guessed you were a M or M/L at a push.

edit: I found the random size chart.

defy2.png
Thank you for your help

Milkfloat

An Peanut
is there anything new for £800 that'd come anywhere near the Defy 2 advanced (new current model) with 105 running gear

Depends if it fits - bike can be cheap as chips, but if it does not fit, you will hate it. If it fits and is not damaged, then it is a great buy.

AndyJ14

Remember the sales are on now. Just a few starters.
  • Felt Z75 / Disc version. £700 / £750
  • Defy 1
  • Defy 0 - £750 at many retailers.
I agree that a Large Giant seems too big. I'm 5'10 and have tried M/L in Giants, but all depends on body shape not just height. Try it out.

OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
oh right so its a ally frame, and I expect it wouldn't be as good as the 105 ?
are 105 a lot inferior to Ultegra ?

AndyJ14

The Felts are full 105 too. Ultegra really isn't that much better. Many people swear 105 is the sweet spot.

All depends how much you want to spend.

Cyclist33

oh right so its a ally frame, and I expect it wouldn't be as good as the 105 ?
are 105 a lot inferior to Ultegra ?

Nowt wrong with the Defy 0 but for approx the same price I'd have the Advanced - mind you it does depend on the year because last year's "Advanced" is more advanced than this year's "Advanced" which used to be called "Composite"...

Cyclist33

Nowt wrong with the Defy 0 but for approx the same price I'd have the Advanced - mind you it does depend on the year because last year's "Advanced" is more advanced than this year's "Advanced" which used to be called "Composite"...

So to explicate better, hopefully, if you have a 2014 Advanced it is the top of the range Defy, whereas if you have a 2015 Advanced it is the second best model frame in the Defy range. Further complicated in that this year's Defy frames are different anyway as are the bike specs!

All cracking bikes though.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aim for 11 speed 105 seems to be the vibe right now

Do you want a carbon frame specifically? That's the first question? Have a look at some of the ribble, Planet X and Dolan offerings

The defy advanced sounds a good deal. What's the issue with it?

MikeW-71

Veteran
If the bike is a Large, and the OP is 5'10", then it is going to be too big. He'll need Medium or maybe M/L if he has long arms.

I'm 5"10" and Medium is great. Unfortunately Medium is the most commonly bought size and so sells out first in the sales.

I echo the views above, it doesn't matter how great a deal it is, if the bike doesn't fit, you will hate it. I really love mine (off out on it in a few minutes actually) :smile:

Cyclist33

Aim for 11 speed 105 seems to be the vibe right now

Do you want a carbon frame specifically? That's the first question? Have a look at some of the ribble, Planet X and Dolan offerings

The defy advanced sounds a good deal. What's the issue with it?

I'd eschew the 11 speed in favour of the ten... my own (limited) experience is the ten speed shifts easier and cleanly-er, and being narrower than even a 9-speed cassette it fits more wheelsets.

Top Bottom