Giant Defy or Cannondale Synapse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hi,

I have gone cross eyed looking at reviews and looking at them in the store and there has been a bit of a curve ball thrown by a local bike store with price of the Giant. So, i need some help please.

My situation:
50/60 mile runs at a weekend or a couple of 30 milers saturday and sunday depdending on time / to do list from the wife :smile:
no commuting on this bike
during the summer months i will do some evening 20 milers before it gets dark
chartiy events primarily

Options:
I was first looking at the Giant defy advanced 2 in the local bike store however they have informed me that they cannot get this in my size for a month or so:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.advanced.2/24965/90513/#features
So today they called me back and offered me the below for £1300:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.advanced.1/24965/90512/#specifications

I have since had a quick look online and this seems a lot of bike for the money (but obviously more expensive than the offer on the Giant):
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-carbon-105-5-2016-road-bike-ec120346#features

On my current bike i have a set of Campagnollo Zondas which if i went for the Cannondale then i'd maybe swap the supplied Mavics but i am guessing on the Giant that these wouldnt fit due to the disc brakes?

the disc brakes also worry me a little as i havent had these before on a bike and it seems a reasonably new format for road bikes?

Frame wise they are both carbon.

I have had a quick ride of them both and they both seem like a lot of bike for the money and both comfortable on the short run that i did.

I guess my question is what is the most bike for the money. I am not able to go any more than £1500 so your thoughts and comments are welcome - as i say i have gone cross eyed reading reviews!

Thanks in advance.
Dan

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you get longer test rides?
Which do you prefer the look of? If both equally, toss a coin

I'm not sure the Campag wheels are any better / different to the Aksiums so that shouldn't sway you

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Go Defy, great bike for the money.
However if you've read the reviews you already know that. Good deal on the upgrade to a '1'.

OP
OP
Dan Ferris

Dan Ferris

Über Member
I probably could, i took an extended lunch for one..

I have a 2015 giant defy 2 and its been great so i like the brand and the LBS are great to talk through any questions.

Any thoughts on the wheel set that comes with the giant? thats the one thing that i upgraded on my current bike and it transformed it so i am unsure if these are of a better quality. Searching youtube but unable to find a specific review on them.

vickster

Legendary Member
See how it goes with the wheels

I'm not sure what you'll get from the new bike that you don't get from the Defy 2 apart from potentially sharper braking from the discs

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Disc brakes are to be allowed in races soon. when that happens I predict more and more disc road bikes.
Disc pads last a long time ,your not wearing out your rims and they work better in wet.

Giant has a higher quality groupset in ultegra over 105 but 105 is fine anyway and replacement ultegra bits will be more expensive than 105 when they wear out.

Essex is fairly flat I think so maybe the narrower range on the Giants ultegra cassette will be better for you as you are unlikely to need the 32 tooth cog on the Synapse but if you intend to travel to big hills the bigger cassette will be great.

The synapse frame is designed for comfort on long rides but have also been raced at top level so no slouch.

I don't think you will be able to swap the campag wheels to a Shimano equipped bike.

They are both good bikes If I were you I would go for the bike that looks the nicest to your eye.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
D
I don't think you will be able to swap the campag wheels to a Shimano equipped bike.

They are both good bikes If I were you I would go for the bike that looks the nicest to your eye.
I assume the OPs current Defy has Shimano, you can get Campag (and Fulcrum) wheels that fit a Shimano cassette

vickster

Legendary Member
If it felt like a big step up, enjoy the new bike

the snail

Guru
Disc brakes and full ultegra would appeal to me, but if you're not doing a lot of wet miles rim brakes are perfectly fine. I don't think you'd regret either, they both look very nice indeed, I envy your dilemma!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I would go with the Defy as I've had one and they are great bikes. The only downside to that Defy you linked to, is that dropped seat stay design. I think it looks a bit odd but the colours are nice.
I have a bike with discs and the stopping power is brilliant, even in the pouring rain, I wish I could retro fit discs to me PX.

See how it goes with the wheels

I'm not sure what you'll get from the new bike that you don't get from the Defy 2 apart from potentially sharper braking from the discs

Carbon over aluminium for one thing and Ultegra over Tiagra for another, I suppose. BB

Nother advantage of the Defy (over the Cannondale in this case) is the sizing and geometry should be identical across Defy framesets so assuming you are comfortable/well fitted to your existing Defy, choosing the right size of the new one should be easy. bb

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have both a Defy and a Synapse, plus Zondas. To be honest they are much of a muchness. The Synapse deals with road buzz marginally better and is feels slightly more comfortable over distance. I decided not to have disc brakes to retain wheel compatibility and because I don't see discs as a big benefit on a road bike. I would go with the bike you can get the best deal on, or failing that the nicest colour. I would be hunting out 2015 bikes for a decent discount.

OP
OP
Dan Ferris

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Managed to secure this £400 cheaper than the RRP. Defy Advanced Pro 3.

2016_Giant_Defy_Advanced_Pro_3.jpg

Top Bottom