Giant Defy1 Mech hanger wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
Yesterday I had a catastrophic failure of my rear mech, resulting in it being torn off and wedged in the rear wheel.
I think I've got away without wheel damage but we had to cut off the rear mech and chain - which is now in a countryside hedge!
I've ordered a new mech and chain but its just dawned on me I will need a new hanger but I don't have a clue what it looks like and it seems there are 1/2 doz options on every site I visit.
Has anyone bought one recently for a Giant Defy which they can recommend.

Thanks
IanB

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This worked on my 2014 Defy. What year is yours?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-defy-rear-mech-hanger-id71025.html

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
But the delivery times on jejamescycles are too slow.
I have an event this Sunday and fast couriered all the other bits to arrive tomorrow so I can get the bike rebuilt.
Even with the fast courier option at JEJ they are still quoting 2-5 working days which could mean they arrive too late.

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Thanks Derrick. I will still investigate that as I really need to have a spare on order in case the CR one doesn't fit, and it will go into my spares box either way.

I've walked into a giant shop on 2 different occasions and walked out with that part. Are you near any giant shops?

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Frigging simpleton, why didn't I think of that. There is one about 20 mins from where I work.
You get so hung up on something sometimes and on this occasion it was "must buy it now" which in my small head meant the internet.

Frigging simpleton, why didn't I think of that. There is one about 20 mins from where I work.
You get so hung up on something sometimes and on this occasion it was "must buy it now" which in my small head meant the internet.
Call them. They may have to get it in for you.

(I've bought 2 because I got one as a spare, then couldn't find it when I needed it. The spare is somewhere in my house. It's a 2012 Avail, so presumably the exact part you are looking for. One day I will find it, and probably wonder what the hell it is :smile: )

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Mine looks the same as the JE James one I posted, whereas the Chain Reaction one looks like the older 2011 version. So if you truly have a 2012 frame it won't fit. Which one looks closest to your current one - they are fairly distinctive the newer one has the straight edge.

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
I pulled off the bit left attached to the frame and sadly you are right Milkfloat, the one I've ordered is wrong because the original is square topped like the one you linked to at pedalon
I've ordered one from pedalon and phoned the local Giant agent who has a few different ones in stock so wanted to see my bike, but I'll pop down with the bit I have today and see if we can match it.

Thanks for your help guys. Its massively appreciated.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I bought one on Wiggle which ended up wrong. The best way is to find your local Giant dealer & get one. I think mine was actually cheaper in the (big and glossy expensive-looking) shop than any of the online offerings as well.

Top Bottom