Giant Road E+ 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
I have the first service booked next month, just a bit of rear derailleur adjustment needed but it's free .
I am going to try derestricting it then, I think go for the Magnet option first & if that feels good I will go for the speed box so the speedo will be more accurate, although lots €139.
Coming out of our road I generally turn right as if I go left there are two very steep hills, but now I can go left without a worry It loves hills...
I was put off insuring the bike as it's more than I pay for my £10k motorbike why is that?.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Probably right, although in his defence (no idea why I feel I should defend him though) he wasn't slagging off kits, more bikes that plant the battery on the rack rather than low on the frame.
It's possible to buy battery packs that fit onto the bottle cage mounts (and they're the same price) as for me most of my bikes have a rack fitted (and for the ones that don't I have a beam rack)

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
I did manage to get the bike for £2.199 with a set of spd pedals chucked in, I wouldn't want to pay a grand more just for an updated display & controller.

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Electrics and water don't mix, and there's no doubt some of the Chinese ebike kits don't like bad weather.

The Yamaha will be much better designed and made, so I wouldn't expect any problems provided you are sensible.

I wash my Bosch bikes pretty much as a normal bike, hot soapy water applied with a brush or rag, then wipe off.

Probably wise to avoid sloshing water where the battery terminals plug into the frame, and remove the battery to check none is collecting.

Condensation is the enemy, so putting the bike in a shed wet is to be avoided.

The Yamaha motor has been around a few years, albeit not on road bikes, but I think we would have heard by now of any problems caused by washing or weather.

Thanks for that. This is pretty much what I was planning to base my cleaning regime for the e-bike on, as well as the assumption that the Giant manual's "don't wash the plastic covers with water" warning is being somewhat over-cautious!

sight-pin

Veteran
Must admit i wouldn't mind a Giant Road E bike myself, just wondering if they have the 6kph walk assist facility like some other e bikes?

Davidc

Guru
Interesting thread.

I bought the E+ 2 version a few weeks ago and have ridden it several hundred miles since. Decided to get the Giant road bike rather than an electric version of a Dutch trekking bike or of a mountain bike.

I decided to buy one because I've reached the stage, owing to health and age combined, when although I can still get up most of Somerset's hills, it's ever more slowly and with increasing recovery times for the longer and steeper ones. This has made keeping up with other riders difficult, and does detract from the enjoyment of some rides.

The weight hasn't been much of an issue as my Dawes tourer doesn't weigh much less, and I've found that the bike is generally a good road bike, with or without the electric assist turned on. I'm using the extra power on those long and steep hills and into headwinds, it's great. Rarely need to use it above the economy power position. The rest of the time the motor just stays switched off. My only real criticism is that it doesn't balance well (ie badly)when standing out of the saddle, which limits my performance when un-powered.

Put my Brooks B17 saddle on it which improved it hugely - others may disagree with that move! Don't want to get into discussions about saddles though.

I don't commute any more as I've retired, just wish these bikes had been around when I did!

@Foghat - you've bought the expensive one, which I decided I couldn't justify, but I'm sure it will do your commuting job brilliantly. As for the cost, just work out how much the same commute would cost by car. Your outlay should be recouped in very much less than the service life of the bike so don't worry about obsolescence - just buy a new one in 5 years or so from the savings, complete with all the inevitable technology improvements. Someone will still be wanting to buy your current one when you put it on ebay then!

sight-pin

Veteran
No, I just thought the motor could be kicking in if it's showing eco, normal or sport rather than off on the LCD screen.

Top Bottom