girls and punctures!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hotmetal

Globalti said:
If you haven't got unperfumed talc I guess a baby talc would smell better on your bike than something expensive and floral or oriental!

Ah, the pixies in my head are amused greatly by that as well. I shall sniff deeply every time I see a girl on a bike to determine if she's bought plain talc or raided her mum's bathroom cabinet for some Woods of Windsor or Norfolk Lavender stuff… Hope I don't get arrested!:smile::girl::smile:

Back in normality, Park Tools make 'proper' tyre levers (in Park blue of course) which are made of hard, slippery plastic. These are much stiffer, easier to slide round the rim, and have a little lip that helps them locate properly. Much better than the bendy cheap plastic black ones, though they are £1.50 each instead of 99p for, erm, 2. And why are tyre levers now sold in 2s when everyone knows you usually want 3? Call me cynical but I'm sure it's just to make you buy 2 packets. They always used to come in 3s didn't they?

potsy

Rambler
If you're fixing it on way home then no need to get to full pressure though,2/3 or so will be enough to get you home.
Maybe keep a cheap track pump at work,or like suggested CO2 cannister could be quite handy although I haven't tried these myself.

hotmetal

ian turner said:
And why did they stop making kits with chalk and abrasive strips !!! Well most of them. Yet still advise you to use them in the instructions.
Same reason as tyre levers are now usually sold in 2s…:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Globalti said:
Ah, but this is where girlies ought to be better because talc is the best natural dry lubricant for rubber. A little talc sprinkled on the bead of the tyre makes all the difference.

My dear chap, I haven't owned talc since I was about 11!

Another vote for the Topeak Road Morph from me.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use a Laura Ashley talc ... it was given to me in a set years ago ... now I finally have a use for it... so theoretically my tyres should smell flowery ... in reality ... rubbery:biggrin:.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
hobbygirl said:
hi ladies. i have gone through the puncture routine with my husband. yes i can take off the wheel and replace the inner tube or patch it up with one of those lovely sticky things and although i hate to get my hands dirty felt quite proud to achieve this great task only to be totally let down (literally)
there is no way in the world i can pump the tyres up with a hand pump to significant pressure.
now i am no fatima whitbread but nor am i a weakling. so girls or boys , when out on the road how do you overcome this ?

All you need are rubber gloves and a CO2 inflator, problem solved.

Jaguar

What's a puncture? I haven't had one since I got Slime innertubes fitted :biggrin:

Top tip for getting grease off your hands though: sugar and washing up liquid (or soap).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Jaguar said:
What's a puncture? I haven't had one since I got Slime innertubes fitted :smile:

They are swines though to pump up regularly , the gunk keeps coming out of the valve.I used them for a while and when i took it out it had about 5-6 micro punctures all leaking gunk into the tyre.
I was reading c+ about pumps and i am tempted by a co2 pump or the mini track pumps, how heavy are they though compared to a mini pump?I have enough stuff to carry already.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
cyberknight said:
They are swines though to pump up regularly , the gunk keeps coming out of the valve.I used them for a while and when i took it out it had about 5-6 micro punctures all leaking gunk into the tyre.
I was reading c+ about pumps and i am tempted by a co2 pump or the mini track pumps, how heavy are they though compared to a mini pump?I have enough stuff to carry already.

The Topeak mini morph weighs barely any more than a regular mini pump.

paddy01

C02 canister every time for me, 0 - 100psi in less than 1 second.

Of course as I only carry 2 spare tubes plus 2 cannisters, if I get a 3rd I'm, for want of a better word, buggered. :blush:

jimboalee

Even with a CO2 sparklets widget, pump the tyre up a bit with a hand pump to ensure proper seating and that the tube isn't pinched.

Top Bottom