Girly question - cycling in skirts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
This is a serious question ... looking for advice from Ladies :thumbsup:

I always end up wearing trousers, or shorts when cycling. I've tried cycling in a skirt without any sucess ... is there a type of skirt that stays down better, long/short straight or flared, heavy or light material? Are there any ladies on here who do cycle in a skirt?

I've not got a step through bike but the top tube is fairly slanted. This is only for on short fun rides obviously.

(Men are permitted to answer but I may ignore their advice:biggrin:).

sheddy

Legendary Member

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I don't know the answer exactly, but in Oxford there are many girls/women who seem to cycle in all manner of skirts/dresses of various length including some super-short skirts, that seem to be able to keep their modesty covered or without creating an Isadora Duncan moment with the rear wheel.. Nice touch with the stilletto's too...:thumbsup:

Pete

For some strange reason, this recalls for me memories of my first piano teacher - a dear old lady by the name of Mrs. Knight - always turning up for the lessons at a sedate pace on her faithful old sit-up-and-beg, with full chain guard and a sort of fairing covering most of the back wheel (what was that called?). And of course a long (calf length) skirt. That was in the 1950s when far fewer women wore trousers (or shorts!) than nowadays.

I think, a decade later with the advent of the mini-skirt, female cyclists started getting problems preserving their modesty. As a student in Oxford at that time, my recollection is that most of them coped fairly well :thumbsup::sad:.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i was gonna say a skort too. They usually do them in catalogues.

or (blokes control yourselves) how about a gym skirt with gym knickers underneath? or tennis skirt with white gym knickers underneath. well if you've got it you may as well flaunt it eh?

or a sports dress with gym knickers underneath.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've been thinking about this as well. You can get cycling skirts (Evans do them) and I've been considering buying one but haven't actually seen one yet. Apparently they're a bit more flattering than lycra shorts. Well - most things are!!

As for normal cycling in a skirt, I couldn't do it on my current bike Liesl as I have a straight top bar and it would be rude :thumbsup: but when I had a step through frame I cycled in a skirt regularly and it was fine. I always felt a bit saucy, but it was quite fun. I think not so long it would get in the machinery but not so short it was rude. Knee length?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Remember the golden rule in order to avoid chaffing and saddle sores, nothing must be worn underneath :thumbsup::tongue::tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I never wear skirts at all, well maybe once a year in summer, but hardly ever. I'd assume you could ride in any skirt, if you are used to wearing them, but that the best would be above the knee and relatively well fitting or if below it, a flared design in a fabric that was not too floaty and heavy enough to hand down well.

As for skorts, I snort at the absurdity. If you wanna wear shorts wear shorts, hiding them under a silly gym skirt just seems daft... :thumbsup:

Keith Oates

Janner
Out here in the summer the ladies ride bikes when wearing mini skirts and apart from the car crashes it causes the women themselves seem to manage very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
buggi said:
or (blokes control yourselves) how about a gym skirt with gym knickers underneath? or tennis skirt with white gym knickers underneath. well if you've got it you may as well flaunt it eh?

or a sports dress with gym knickers underneath.
Dribble dribble :thumbsup:
Isn't a skort what those Newcastle lasses wear on a neet oot on tha toon?

yoyo

As a woman of poor figure I thoroughly recommend skorts having used them on my tour of the DAnube last year. Pearl Izuma do them: they are a ladies padded shorts with a cross over 'skirt' incorporated into the waistband. The fabric of the 'skirt' is such that it is not blown by the wind and sits flat. When one dismounts one is not wishing for a long t-shirt!! I thoroughly recommend them.

For my everyday cycling I can wear a skirt as I have a Dutch bike with chain and skirt guard - I even tested it before purchase wearing a wide knee-length skirt.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Arch said:
I never wear skirts at all, well maybe once a year in summer, but hardly ever. I'd assume you could ride in any skirt, if you are used to wearing them, but that the best would be above the knee and relatively well fitting or if below it, a flared design in a fabric that was not too floaty and heavy enough to hand down well.
As for skorts, I snort at the absurdity. If you wanna wear shorts wear shorts, hiding them under a silly gym skirt just seems daft... :thumbsup:

Likewise, but sometimes I feel tempted to try on my wifes

Top Bottom