Girly question - cycling in skirts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
yoyo said:
As a woman of poor figure I thoroughly recommend skorts having used them on my tour of the DAnube last year. Pearl Izuma do them: they are a ladies padded shorts with a cross over 'skirt' incorporated into the waistband. The fabric of the 'skirt' is such that it is not blown by the wind and sits flat. When one dismounts one is not wishing for a long t-shirt!! I thoroughly recommend them.

For my everyday cycling I can wear a skirt as I have a Dutch bike with chain and skirt guard - I even tested it before purchase wearing a wide knee-length skirt.

I'm going to try and get one. I like the idea. I always feel very unglam on tour, which is unpleasant in countries like France..I'm going to try the skort approach. Off to search for one now.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
When I was a student I did ride to a ceilidh wearing kilt with out problem, and i am a true Scotsman, not that you would have found that out if you have seen me riding...

Plax

Guru
The idea of cycling in a skirt has never occured to me. Couldn't you at one point get those shorts that looked like a skirt? I had a pair years and years ago. Culottes or something like that.
I think for summer, having not taken up cycling until September, I shall have to take some dresses into work via car. I usually stuff a pair of trousers in my rucksack, but I have some really nice summer dresses that just wouldn't cope in the bottom of a rucksack.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
What about one of those lightweight sarong thingies you could whip out of your back pocket and Hey Presto - a skirt. Beckham proved it worked for us blokes too!!!:blush:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
sheddy said:

Hmm ... not quite sure I will be following that advice:biggrin:, I really can't see myself in white knee length socks... I'm the wrong side of 40. And I will bear in mind the advice it had on undergarments.

Smokin Joe said:
Remember the golden rule in order to avoid chaffing and saddle sores, nothing must be worn underneath :blush::tongue::tongue:

Definately ignoring that one....:biggrin:

Crackle said:

I guess that's what I'm trying to achieve, the not dressed up for the bike look.

Cathryn said:
I'm going to try and get one. I like the idea. I always feel very unglam on tour, which is unpleasant in countries like France..I'm going to try the skort approach. Off to search for one now.

I might try getting a skort (or maybe one of those dresses that go over trousers), but if you beat me to it, I would be interested in what you think of them... they always look very short.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Haven't bought one yet! I'm nervous of how short they are as well....we'll see. If you get one first, let me know!

wafflycat

Never did like cycling in a skirt. For it not to get caught in the rear wheel, it's got to be short, so you might as well be wearing shorts. If it's long, you need a skirt guard over the rear wheel, full mudguards, and a chainguard. Mudguards I don't mind, but the skirtguard and the chainguard I prefer to do without, thank you. I wear a pair of Ron Hill Bikesters over cycle shorts, or a pair of cycling tights. That way I completely avoid the trap of skirt in rear wheel, skirt getting filthy from any crud thrown up or trapped in the chain, or worse still - skirt blowing up - a distinct lack of decorum when that happens.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
User76 said:
During the recent warm spell I was cycling past Browns at the top of Park St. 2 girls were getting ontheir bikes, and well near caused a van driver to drive straight into me:ohmy: Not that I noticed until the last minute:blush:

Flippin heck, just don't take lessons in modesty from those 2 and you'll be fine:biggrin:

Well if I'm up that direction I usually lock the bike up opposite Browns - but its not been warm enough this year for me to bare anything other than hands and head (yet) - so it wasn't me:biggrin:.

yoyo

The skorts I have are no shorter than my padded cycling shorts; they are simply cycling shorts with a wrap over incorporated into the waistband. I think skorts are a good solution for long-distance summer cycling and I am anything but finely built, with tree trunk legs. Initially I purchased one to see how I got on and then decided on a second one.

Butterfly

Veteran
In summer I often ride in a dress with a pair of cycling shorts underneath. It is easier with a shorter skirt - although I have been known to cycle in a full length evening dress, I don't recommend it.:biggrin: The main thing to avoid is a length or tightness that might catch on the back of the saddle or a floatiness that will catch in the brakes. The latter can be avoided by tying a knot in the front - I do that if I'm wearing more formal silk dresses on the way to lunch or weddings or such.:ohmy: I don't really get on with skorts - they never have the right shape to accomodate my hips with a nice line.:smile:

Top Bottom