Girly question - cycling in skirts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
From a sort of pervy male perpective, I love seeing women riding when they're wearing a skirt with a slit up the front...that exposed inner upper thigh on the pedal upstroke, ah you can't beat it.

yenrod

182485433_abb570ae15.jpg

A nice respectable length for a lady, cycling !

Before all this lycra for everyday use, both my mum and I used to cycle to work on our normal (cross bar) everyday/clubrun/race bikes in skirts. They needed to be either mini or flared or pleated. If they got in the way all that was needed was a clothes peg attached to the cross bar.

I have thought about a skort as I don't like my legs too much nowadays, simply so that it hides the contours formed by Lycra! However having looked them up on places like Minx etc, you seem to pay an awful lot of money for very little, and if I put my mind to it I could make one in a fashion. There is a link on Cycle Chic website that the guys would love. It's a fit girl in a very short shirt, which has blown up showing her cheeks. (not on her face either) If I can find it I will post it for you, otherwise maybe someone else can find it and upload it?

I cycle in skirts and dresses a lot. They're always fairly short but i do put cycling shorts on underneath if I'm not already wearing leggings. Just avoid tight ones that catch on the saddle when you hop off - I might have flashed a lorry driver trying to disentangle myself once!

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I still don't wear skirts as much as I'd like .... but it seems to be a case of test each skirt out ... some I barely get out the gate before turning around and coming back in to get changed, others are OK. Still not managed to achieve the floaty look that I do admire - I must make more effort not to grab the shorts/trousers each time when I wake up.

I don't go for it myself (since it would require thinking about what to wear and spending money on clothes that could otherwise be spent on bikes, cakes, and train tickets to take my bike to interesting places to meet other people and ride bikes with them) but I know a several of women who often wear the 3/4s and a short frock combo and it always strikes me as a nice balance between practicality for actually riding, and not looking like PE kit. Of course several of the women that I know who wear this combo would probably manage to look stylish wearing a bin bag...

My general cycle clothing choice is rolled up jeans and whatever t-shirt is clean and long enough to not ride up at the back for anything up to 40 or so miles, unless I'm expecting it to be very rainy. Anything over that I'm going to look dishevelled and scruffy at the end of (OK, more dishevelled and scruffier) so I might as well wear clothing that contains traces of lycra, look silly to start off with, but at least it dries quickly if you get rained on and the pockets are handy.

Minx-girl has some cycling skirts that I quite like in a 'I can imagine them looking good on someone not me' sense.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My problem is I fall in love with skirts in shops but don't seem to have the lifestyle to wear them frequently.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I don't have a skirt lifestyle, but then again I don't have a trouser shape so the skirts won

Step through frames and skirt guards are the way to go

5604031934_04e8b1f565.jpg

That's the Tweed Run outfit, but I cycle home from work on the same bike in my work gear, which is always a skirt or dress. I recently cycled to a job interview in a pencil skirt on a Boris bike - it's very doable.

Mind, that's assuming you are cycling for transport and don't want to have to wear special clothes. If it's a sports ride on an activity specific bike I'd wear cycle-specific clothing.

Top Bottom