Giro 2019 SPOILERS ! (provided by rich p)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So how does the CC intelligencia see today panning out? At what point do Roglic and Nibali start racing instead of looking at each other? Can't keep letting the likes of Landa and Carrapaz chip away, particularly as almost anything is possible on S16

I'm off for my own Giro today...half the distance and half the climbing of this stage but will probably take me longer...particularly if I find a nice cafe in Buxton

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Back to back stage win for Zakarin....if not I think Lopez today,unlucky mechanical yesterday and I think he will be up for this stage.

I hope rob hatch is not the main commentator for the TDF on eurosport.He goes into this pidgin english when talking about riders and his voice grates on your nerves.
I know a lot of people complain about carlton kirby but i'd rather have him any day than hatch.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Whatever you think about Hatch"s voice and habit of pronouncing riders" names correctly, surely it's better to have a commentator who recognises the riders, understands the tactics and defers to the resident expert pundit. Kirby still fails massively on all three counts.
My bet today would be that the GC guys guys mark each till Landa tries and fails leaving the others to mark each other and Lopez takes the win with a late break
Or summink else entirely

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I always find it a bit strange when people complain about Hatch pronouncing names correctly. Given that he speaks fluent Italian he'd actually have to make an effort to Anglicise Italian riders' names. I think he speaks French too, so the same would apply there. Others are just down to good research. I don't know what other languages he speaks.

But if it just grates, then just grates. Not much you can do about that. Like my aversion to Kelly mispronouncing just about every word in every language.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Someone gonna try a Froome today ? Year ago since that epic,best ever,greatest rider,80k solo win !
Can you tell I miss him ?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I always find it a bit strange when people complain about Hatch pronouncing names correctly. Given that he speaks fluent Italian he'd actually have to make an effort to Anglicise Italian riders' names. I think he speaks French too, so the same would apply there. Others are just down to good research. I don't know what other languages he speaks.

But if it just grates, then just grates. Not much you can do about that. Like my aversion to Kelly mispronouncing just about every word in every language.
He did speak a sentence in Flemish yesterday. From what I remember he was talking about a non-Dutch rider living in the Netherlands who'd managed to learn some Dutch and he spoke what that rider was reported to have said.

Actually, I think his ability to switch to Italian within an English sentence is pretty unusual. As a rule, it seems to be only when the speaker reverts to his or her native language that it works successfully.

Someone gonna try a Froome today ? Year ago since that epic,best ever,greatest rider,80k solo win !
Can you tell I miss him ?
I doubt it today. I think in this field, Nibali is capable of something similar in the final week, especially if the weather is bad, I don't know if anyone else is.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually, I think his ability to switch to Italian within an English sentence is pretty unusual. As a rule, it seems to be only when the speaker reverts to his or her native language that it works successfully.
I dunno, when I come across words or names from one of the two foreign languages I can get by in (and I'm FAR from fluent) I'll naturally use the local pronunciation, as best I can, rather than anglicising it. For example I said "Chartres" this morning and I didn't say char-trees. I even have a bash at getting it right in languages I don't speak. I guess that makes me a pretentious tw@.

Top Bottom