Giro 2019 SPOILERS ! (provided by rich p)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I didn't see the moment where Roglič got a 10 second penalty for getting a push from fans. If he invited them to do it, then fair enough, if not, it sets a 'dangerous' precedent where spectators could sabotage their favourite's rival by giving them a push!

I think as has been stated, it was because he did not try to stop the guy from pushing him. It went on for about 10 seconds, so he had plenty of time to turn and stop him, although I think it was Bradley Wiggins saying that when you are in the "zone" you do not think about things like that.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I didn't see the moment where Roglič got a 10 second penalty for getting a push from fans. If he invited them to do it, then fair enough, if not, it sets a 'dangerous' precedent where spectators could sabotage their favourite's rival by giving them a push!

That precedent has been thoroughly set and regularly reinforced for decades. Penalising riders for receiving unsolicited pushes is, quite rightly, routine procedure.

Not
penalising Roglič for such a blatant acceptance of (and failure to attempt to deter) a monster push at a critical moment in the GC battle would have set a far more 'dangerous' precedent.

Entirely the right decision - although considering how big that push was, how long it lasted, how much he clearly enjoyed it and seemingly made no effort to deter it, and the criticality of the juncture in the race at which it occurred, there's an argument the penalty should actually be higher.

Not unless Carapaz crashes. It could happen but I think Roglic will struggle to displace Nibali. Landa is in reach though, he's still a terrible tt'er.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
WTF happened to Yates this Giro ? He really has done nothing.I can only presume he came with the intention of riding himself fit into the race and it not happening.

Reactions: mjr

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not unless Carapaz crashes. It could happen but I think Roglic will struggle to displace Nibali. Landa is in reach though, he's still a terrible tt'er.

He is, but it feels like Roglic is at the end of his tether. I think traditional TT form goes out of the window a bit when you stick it immediately after a block of mountain stages. Campenaerts for the win (he will have been soft pedalling for days). I'd like to see Landa hold third, suspect it will be close. I don't think Roglic has any chance to displace Nibali

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Nah I want Roglic to take a podium place,I think he deserves it.Hes never give up,even without a team around him.Im confident as Landa TTs as well as he sprints.

Roglic has practically rode the giro on his own , I would love to see him on the podium but what have the mountain stages took out of his time trial legs,.... does Landa even have any time trial legs... ….Simon Yates pre race statement of " my rivals should be shitting themselves" didn't come to much, no idea why.

Roglic has practically rode the giro on his own , I would love to see him on the podium but what have the mountain stages took out of his time trial legs,.... does Landa even have any time trial legs... ….Simon Yates pre race statement of " my rivals should be shitting themselves" didn't come to much, no idea why.
I think he might have been referring to the laxative he'd inejcted into their coffee pods .

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

It's an interesting TT course....5km uphill, 5 km downhill and about 8km of flat. Landa will fail to match Roglic on the flat, they should be about equal on the descent. Question is whether Landa can take any time on the uphill. It's only 4.6% which doesn't play to his strengths but, as I said earlier, Roglic looks weaker climbing than Landa. The uphill is about a 9 minute effort I would guess, I wonder if Landa could take 30 seconds? That might be enough

Italian TV has also just missed everything. Roglic's crash, Lopez today, TGH crash, a couple of others I can't immediately think of.
Makes you appreciate the professionalism of TdF camera crews. Their helicopter crews in particular are way better than any others

Reactions: mjr

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Campanaerts just taken the lead for a while, at least.
Amazing really that these guys can average the best part of 30mph for 17km, incl. a hill and after 3 weeks of massive effort.

Top Bottom