Giro 2020 SPOILERS !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm surprised there aren't more bidon related accidents. They are pretty recklessly discarded sometinmes. Bouncing of a wall back into the road etc.
fark me, some of my bidons are ten years old and they chuck 'em away after a sip.^_^

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I'm surprised there aren't more bidon related accidents. They are pretty recklessly discarded sometinmes. Bouncing of a wall back into the road etc.
fark me, some of my bidons are ten years old and they chuck 'em away after a sip.^_^
Agree,seen quite a few bouncing of kerbs.This today wasnt thrown,bounced out of its cage CCC rider I think.Fecking bad luck though ☹️

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I've driven across Sicily. The roads are almost as bad as they are in Sussex:whistle:
They were motoring in the neutral zone aswell
Probally worse as a full bottle so be a lot harder when you hit it ! The CCC rider in front of Thomas did well to bunny hop it...love to go there,never been.
Screenshot_20201005-192523~2.png

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We finally got access to Eurosport so we can watch the Giro! I’m quite shocked at the quality of coverage...the footage is so shaky I feel a bit dizzy!! Poor Geraint though!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We finally got access to Eurosport so we can watch the Giro! I’m quite shocked at the quality of coverage...the footage is so shaky I feel a bit dizzy!! Poor Geraint though!
Situation normal: the Giro is shaky with unreadably-fast captions, but the Vuelta will be blocky with not enough captions.

It doesn't help that Quest "HD" broadcasts at about 9Mbps, unlike German HD channels at 14Mbps.

Last edited:

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Agree,seen quite a few bouncing of kerbs.This today wasnt thrown,bounced out of its cage CCC rider I think.Fecking bad luck though ☹

From the footage upthread, you can see that there was a second bottle that rolled down after Thomas hit the first.

Seems likely it was the jolting from the raised cobbles section that led to the jettisoning. Which raises the question why, given how often riders have to dodge errant bottles, and given the peloton's presumed concerns about rider safety:
  1. The teams don't use bottle cages with better retaining capabilities, given how dire many road surfaces are
  2. Riders don't stop recklessly chucking them around with the wild abandon so many of them seem rather fond of
  3. The UCI doesn't impose better rules around bottle use/disposal (or enforce better if existing rules are actually adequate)
It always irks when I see them chucking bottles around the way they do, especially how regularly they end up rolling around dangerously among riders' wheels, or disappearing into undergrowth or remote/inaccessible areas from which they are unlikely to be retrieved. The only time it doesn't irk is when the rider does a gentle, well-aimed and well-judged throw to spectators.

The whole peloton and entourage should be directed to practise far more discipline in this area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
From the footage upthread, you can see that there was second bottle that rolled down after Thomas hit the first.

Seems likely it was the jolting from the raised cobbles section that led to the jettisoning. Which raises the question why, given how often riders have to dodge errant bottles, and given the peloton's presumed concerns about rider safety:
  1. Riders don't stop recklessly chucking them around with the wild abandon so many of them seem rather fond of
  2. The teams don't use bottle cages with better retaining capabilities, given how dire many road surfaces are
  3. The UCI doesn't impose better rules around bottle disposal (or enforce better if existing rules are actually adequate)
It always irks when I see them chucking bottles around the way they do, especially how regularly they end up rolling around dangerously among riders' wheels, or disappearing into undergrowth or remote areas from which they are unlikely to be retrieved. The only time it doesn't irk is when the rider does a gentle, well-aimed and well-judged throw to spectators.

The whole peloton and entourage should be directed to practise far more discipline in this area.
Far more important things to worry about...you've seen EFs kit ! Seriously though yea agree.The throwing.of bottles empty or otherwise needs to be addressed.Maybe same as kit ? As in wait for a car or in a designated area.Everyones at the same disadvantage then.I mean to the average armchair fan it looks like littering.
Abouts today's incident...

View: https://twitter.com/ChadHaga/status/1313171445334278146?s=19

Freak accident but they were traveling at speeds up to 65kmh through that villiage in the neutral zone,makes a bit of a mockery of "neutral"? Over some dodgy surfaces.Its a accident I know,but it's still a pisser for Thomas ☹️

DRM

Guru
Absolutely gutted for G, I thought he was in great shape and ready to give the race his best shot, but surely if the roads are so bad, the mechanics should be employing some Paris-Roubaix hacks to keep the bidons in place.
Having read the BBC sport report, well god knows what they were watching but the statement that G looked comfortable on his bike beggars belief!

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom