Giro 2020 SPOILERS !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
They wouldn't have to employ any hacks if they just used proper bottle holders rather than the rather useless "maginal gains" versions.
[/QUOTE]
They obviously know this or they wouldn't bother changing them for the likes of Roubaix.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
They wouldn't have to employ any hacks if they just used proper bottle holders rather than the rather useless "maginal gains" versions.
[/QUOTE]
I'd agree. The roads around here are even bumpier than Sicily but I've never had a bottle jump out.

Anyway...today should be interesting. With a big 5% climb in the middle will it be ridden hard enough to get rid of the pure sprinters to allow the likes of Sagan to try for the win? Problem is it's a long way to the finish so (for Sagan) Bora would have to commit to riding hard all the way to the end to stop the likes of Demare getting back on. For sure the FDJ rouleurs will be tasked with dragging him back to the peleton. Should be interesting.

Also I had a cycling hol based in Catania a few years ago and we rode the stretch they're doing to Taoromina so some happy memories. We didn't do that big climb, just went to Messina then train back to Catania

Anyway...today should be interesting. With a big 5% climb in the middle will it be ridden hard enough to get rid of the pure sprinters to allow the likes of Sagan to try for the win? Problem is it's a long way to the finish so (for Sagan) Bora would have to commit to riding hard all the way to the end to stop the likes of Demare getting back on. For sure the FDJ rouleurs will be tasked with dragging him back to the peleton. Should be interesting.
I could see Bora making that work (although: who are the better descenders? Demare-vs-Sagan? domestiques-vs-domestiques?),
but might think they've lost the surprise element after doing it in France.

And are Bora still going for GC (not the win, obvs!)? This tactic would burn-out all their domestiques, before they're needed in the mountains. IAMFI!

I WILL predict; if we all get too excited about this stage, nothing is guaranteed to happen until the last km :P

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I think maybe Bora will think more about GC,protecting Majka.Hes a great chance to shine in this race now.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I left my favourite bottle, about 7 years old, on a train last year. I'm still quite sad about that.

In 1985 my mother, without authorisation, placed my favourite Blackburn bottle on the kitchen boiler to dry......in such a way that it rested against a hot pipe and melted.

Have never got over that bottle loss, particularly as it was designed and executed to a better standard than other bottles of that era.......:angry:

Although I did cut the melted top off and use the lower section, to this day, as a workshop small items receptacle. :okay:

Last edited:

Foghat

Absolutely gutted for G, I thought he was in great shape and ready to give the race his best shot

I also have sympathy for Thomas being denied a potential Giro win, not to mention the actual pain of the crash.

But simultaneously, and notwithstanding any regrettable misfortune of the riders, I'm pleased that bullschitting Des Brailsworth is having a crap time of things in relation to his Ineos objectives. He plummeted to the bottom of my estimation when the fraudulent nature of Sky's hoodwinking of the UCI etc over Biggins's rocket-fuel performance-enhancing TUEs became apparent, plus his appalling Pooley-based and other excuses for the jiffy bag and testosterone deliveries etc, and his blatant hyper-bullschitting during the DCMS parliamentary committee proceedings, and of course the implicit threats to bankrupt the UCI over it taking any action over the multiple instances of malpractice. It would seem many people are content to forget/overlook Brailsworth's disreputable conduct/principles - I, on the other hand, won't tolerate bullschitt, and never forget.....

So Brailsworth, at least, is getting what he deserves.

Last edited:

DogTired

Über Member
I also have sympathy for Thomas being denied a potential Giro win, not to mention the actual pain of the crash.
But simultaneously, and notwithstanding any regrettable misfortune of the riders, I'm pleased that bullschitting Des Brailsworth is having a crap
So Brailsworth, at least, is getting what he deserves.
An interesting and myopic take on it. A senseless crash resulting in a fractured hip and you're happy at the impact on a Teams 'disreputable conduct' manager? What about the times Froome has won, Egan Bernal, GT himself in the TdF? Yeah the problem is when you get the tar-brush out you need to look at everyone else as well. As one single instance, Jumbo-Visma are using 'grey area' ketones to get a competitive advantage. Not banned but there are questions regarding the long term health impacts. Disreputable?
Can't say I agree with everything thats been reported about Brailsfords actions, but I'm struggling to translate yesterdays accident into any glee.

Foghat

An interesting and myopic take on it.
Not myopic to point out there's a bigger picture here than the misfortune of an individual rider, which as I stated is regrettable and clearly worthy of sympathy. And to remind people that the individual presiding over Sky/Ineos's serial malpractice, and over the exploitation of riders in achieving his personal ambitions and greed, went to extraordinary lengths to take the race-enjoying and sport-financing public for mugs. And to point out that, having taken them all for mugs and put so much effort into bullschitting them, as well as the UK parliament, then a degree of schadenfreude at a teflon-coated no-one-can-get-me fraud and bullschitter's personal professional goals and greed objectives temporarily not being met is an entirely fitting viewpoint to have.

Others of course are welcome to list the malpractices of other teams and managers if they consider the degree of schadenfreude should be calibrated against his peers' misconduct, but anyone starting from the premise that Brailsworth didn't really do anything wrong is the one suffering from myopia. In any case, this has no bearing on assessing an appropriate response to the efforts Brailsworth went to to bullschitt the people who ultimately pay for his very comfortable income.

And yes, some may point out that Brailsworth's current failure to realise his objectives has a detrimental effect on the riders and less well remunerated team personnel, but these team members are aware of his bullschitting and prefer to hold their nose and continue associating with him. So their willingness to do so, understandably to protect their current insecure livelihoods, is somewhat distasteful, but on balance, as they are pawns in the corporate greed, any schadenfreude in their direction would be inappropriate.....but then I never expressed or implied any.

Last edited:
Top Bottom