Giro 2022.....SPOILERS.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just noticed the highlights are on Quest for those without welsh language S4C, Eurosport or GCN. Not optimistic about the quality but we will see!

Quest, Eurosport, GCN are all owned by Discovery so it will be the same coverage/presenters, just condensed into a 1 hour show (with ads). I am happy enough to watch most stages on Quest. I'll watch extended coverage of the best stages, but lonnnnnng boring sprint stages are covered perfectly well in the highlights shows.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Quest, Eurosport, GCN are all owned by Discovery so
Warner Brothers Discovery now, but the point stands.

Mike_P

Guru
Will they actually not repeat a previous one on Quest and actually edit the program sensibly without any commentary referring to something earlier that they have edited out.

ColinJ

Will they actually not repeat a previous one on Quest and actually edit the program sensibly without any commentary referring to something earlier that they have edited out.

Yes. But no. But maybe!

The same applies to Eurosport highlights and probably therefore to GCN too.

I watched one highlights show on Eurosport where they showed about 30 minutes leading up to the breakaway, missed out all of the mountains climbed that day, and then showed a different group of riders racing the last 10 km to the finish, with zero explanation of how that had happened!

ColinJ

On GCN you can watch the entire race later on and fast forward it whenever you wish

I did specifically mean the highlights shows. I don't watch those online - I do as you say, watch the whole coverage but skip over any boring bits or watch enough earlier action to get an idea of what happened, and then watch the last 2 hours or so. I usually just watch the last 20-30 km of flat sprint stages unless there are echelons and things get exciting.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
On GCN you can watch the entire race later on and fast forward it whenever you wish
If I could get three weeks holiday.....and my partner would let me I'd quite happily spend 6/7 hours a day laying on the couch eating sh1t watching it.
In reality I'm going have to sit in the van at work and watch it on my phone 😁
#GCNlivingthedream

rich p

ridiculous old lush
With it being the eve of the Giro and Ive been out for a drink....just had a mad thought could Landa actually win the Giro 🙄

I've told you before to lay off the brake fluid... ^_^

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Quest, Eurosport, GCN are all owned by Discovery so it will be the same coverage/presenters, just condensed into a 1 hour show (with ads). I am happy enough to watch most stages on Quest. I'll watch extended coverage of the best stages, but lonnnnnng boring sprint stages are covered perfectly well in the highlights shows.

Quest is such awful picture quality :sad:. I might invest in Eurosport for a month until highlights get back onto ITV for the Tour.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Quest is such awful picture quality :sad:. I might invest in Eurosport for a month until highlights get back onto ITV for the Tour.
Bizarrely, Quest HD at 9Mb/s is broadcast on Freesat at a higher bitrate than Eurosport 1 HD on Sky at 7Mb/s. Any problem with highlights picture quality are probably the host broadcast (RAI historically are a distant third place on picture quality to France TV's cycling team and NOS's classics team) or Eurosport recording equipment, so will probably show on E1 highlights broadcasts too. S4C HD is better than either at 10.3Mb/s.

For completeness, ITV4 is only SD on Freesat at 2.6Mb/s, and E1 Germany is free at 3Mb/s, while host broadcaster RAI Sport+ HD is 6.5Mb/s. Freeview is poor for minor channels: Quest HD at just 4.5Mb/s, ITV4 at 2Mb/s and Quest at 1.8Mb/s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Bizarrely, Quest HD at 9Mb/s is broadcast on Freesat at a higher bitrate than Eurosport 1 HD on Sky at 7Mb/s. Any problem with highlights picture quality are probably the host broadcast (RAI historically are a distant third place on picture quality to France TV's cycling team and NOS's classics team) or Eurosport recording equipment, so will probably show on E1 highlights broadcasts too. S4C HD is better than either at 10.3Mb/s.

For completeness, ITV4 is only SD on Freesat at 2.6Mb/s, and E1 Germany is free at 3Mb/s, while host broadcaster RAI Sport+ HD is 6.5Mb/s. Freeview is poor for minor channels: Quest HD at just 4.5Mb/s, ITV4 at 2Mb/s and Quest at 1.8Mb/s.
Please I'm a bit delicate this morning.

Top Bottom