Giro del Trentino - SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
I don't think Wiggins has done a competitive Time Trial this year yet? So no clues here either. I'm hoping he's just been keeping his powder incredibly dry.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think the mental difference is he fears Nibali now the SKY team can't be counted on to dominate over the parcours of the Giro like they did at the tour last year. With 2 Italian stage race wins going into the Giro, Nibali is maybe in the equivalent position Brad was last year with respect to the TdF.

Yes, Nibali is on top form and Astana look really strong overall. Tiralongo is a pretty useful foil to Siutsou.

oldroadman

Veteran
Yes, Nibali is on top form and Astana look really strong overall. Tiralongo is a pretty useful foil to Siutsou.
All of which suggest that the Giro will be a very interesting and revealing race. I don't agree with Thom, though, there is no reason for BW to be afraid of anyone, but certainly a need to be alert to tactics and a confident team. All makes for good racing when there are plenty of possibilities.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
To be fair to Brad, giving your equal a minute start and on a bike with gearing too high, panic pedalling was his only option! s*** or bust, as the commoners say:smile:

I'm not sure I agree... but then I expect Brad is probably better placed than me to know what he needs to do in that situation. Still, I do wonder if he might have approached the chase slightly differently if he a) had a power meter on his spare bike, and b) had Sean Yates jabbering away in his ear giving him instructions. It's not that he can't ride on instinct - he's done it often enough in the past, with much success - but perhaps he's got too used to doing it by numbers?

You're right, of course, that the gearing thing probably didn't help. And catching Nibali on current form was always going to be a tall order however he approached it.

thom

____
All of which suggest that the Giro will be a very interesting and revealing race. I don't agree with Thom, though, there is no reason for BW to be afraid of anyone, but certainly a need to be alert to tactics and a confident team. All makes for good racing when there are plenty of possibilities.
Perhaps fear is too strong but I do think he'll be more nervous with regards to his chances in comparison to the TdF last year. My impression is the giro will be less controllable than the tour, that Nibali goes better up the really steep stuff than Brad and that Astana have prepared well to support Nibali.
The sum total is that Nibali would be my "favourite" although I want Brad to win. If he does, it will be a superior achievement to the Tour, in my opinion.
Anyway, we have a spanking new thread for such speculation now ;-)

An uninformed comment. As a rider, if you have had problems at a critical time, the best plan is get away from the loony reporters immediately, because someone will stick a mic or voice recorder under your nose and ask a stupid or provative question just to get a response. Wrong response and it haunts you for ages. Much better to disappear and say nothing. Imagine some reporter in a footy dressing room trying it with players "why did you let that own goal (etc) in". More likely to get a black eye than an answer. Yet as riders we are expected to be available to these people seconds after a finish. That's how it is far a rider, and if you are mightily p'eed off, then best say nothing. That is not being a Brat (silly...), it's a sensible tactic.
good job he does not pay for his bikes then ... 4m 30s

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeQKRpJNOB8

oldroadman

Veteran
Perhaps fear is too strong but I do think he'll be more nervous with regards to his chances in comparison to the TdF last year. My impression is the giro will be less controllable than the tour, that Nibali goes better up the really steep stuff than Brad and that Astana have prepared well to support Nibali.
The sum total is that Nibali would be my "favourite" although I want Brad to win. If he does, it will be a superior achievement to the Tour, in my opinion.
Anyway, we have a spanking new thread for such speculation now ;-)

Agreed on all paragraphs - good analysis.

Top Bottom