give me a list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ranger

A continuance of various other posts

OK, the powers that be have decided to enter the Cycle to
Work scheme through Edinburgh Co-op. I have spoken to The Co-op and they cannot produce the goods on what I really want ( basically a something like Kaffenback 105 custom build) without going over the £1000 limit we have. (Planet X can do it for £700:angry:)

What I am basically looking for is a starter list of bikes I can try out and see what fits my requirements and then test ride. Anything up to £1000 on the Edinburgh Cycle Co-op website up to £1000 that will take guards and a rack, Preferably with drops that I can fit some cyclo-cross type secondary levers whilst I get used to drops in traffic.

The other alternative is to keep on upgrading my Ridgeback Velocity (so far wheels and drivetrain) with my friendly LBS to slowly build the bike I really want, finally changing the frame:blush:. If so what would you suggest next for upgrading?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Well you could all ways nip up to Brunsfield and try out a few. So long as you give then some credit card details, they are generally happy to let you take things out for a test ride and they don't actually charge you credit card so long as you take it back in one piece;)

It is only about 2.5 miles from Inverleith Row to Whitehouse Loan, a wee bit longer if you avoid Dundas St:evil:

OP
OP
R

Ranger

OK, I think I have it down to 3 possibles:

Specialized Tricross Sport
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C107&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002912
Giant SCR 1.5
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C107&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002912
Specialized Sirrus Comp
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C105&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002910

I seem to remember a lot of people raving about the SCR, but would have to try it as I am a bit nervous about hills with what (I think) is a double rather than a triple, but would welcome peoples opinions, especially if it is a don't touch it line.

Another question is, would it be really rude to go to my usual bike shop, they will be the ones fixing it when I inevitably break something, and ask them their opinion and what they think of possibilities for upgrading as bits wear out?

Can you tell I have never considered buying something of this importance to me before?

2eezhg6.gif

simonali

Guru
Ranger said:
I seem to remember a lot of people raving about the SCR, but would have to try it as I am a bit nervous about hills with what (I think) is a double rather than a triple

Why not go for the SCR3? Comes with a triple, I think.

Terminator said:

Very helpful! xx(

Tynan

Veteran
big budget for a commuter with rack and guards

ride them, definitely

I swerved the tricross, too much compromise for cylocross, toe clip, brakes and some doubts about fork shudder, that said I never rode it and lots of people liked it

OP
OP
R

Ranger

Tynan said:
big budget for a commuter with rack and guards

ride them, definitely

I swerved the tricross, too much compromise for cylocross, toe clip, brakes and some doubts about fork shudder, that said I never rode it and lots of people liked it

It is a big budget, but that was the deal when I let Mrs Ranger buy a 40" LCD tele and bluray player last week. I am technically allowed to go up to £800, but there doesn't seem to be much available in that price range that appeals.

Tynan

Veteran
oh go on then

either the Fratello (Steel) or the Agu (alu) from Condor Cycles, change from £800 including a fit, guards and rack

I went through this process a few months ago, the audax route is the way to go I suggest rather than cyclocross (Tricross)

(oops, you're in Edinburgh init)

OP
OP
R

Ranger

Tynan said:
oh go on then

either the Fratello (Steel) or the Agu (alu) from Condor Cycles, change from £800 including a fit, guards and rack

I went through this process a few months ago, the audax route is the way to go I suggest rather than cyclocross (Tricross)

(oops, you're in Edinburgh init)

'fraid so, or the Fratello would have been on my list of 3 to try:angry:

Tynan

Veteran
given it's something you'll be spending so much time on, is it worth doing London for a day or two, make a weekend of it? I'm sure they'd deliver it thereafter

OP
OP
R

Ranger

The weekend away isn't the problem, I think it will be persuading Edinburgh Cycle Co-Op to order it in. They want us to order of their stock list and so I am thinking of giving it a miss, saving the money up to buy what I really want.

Tetedelacourse

Ranger said:
Another question is, would it be really rude to go to my usual bike shop, they will be the ones fixing it when I inevitably break something, and ask them their opinion and what they think of possibilities for upgrading as bits wear out?

Not rude to ask but you might get a rude reply from the owner as I did when I asked if they fit wheels when I was planning to buy on tinters. He said not if they don't sell the wheels to me but he offered to match any price I found on the www.

But if it's Bike2work then obviously your hands are tied and if you swing it as you'll go to them for servicing and parts then maybe they'll offer advice. I think it depends on WHO in the shop you speak to, if you have the same LBS in mind as me;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Giant's SCR2 might fit the bill - has a triple (Tiagra) and clearance for 25mm tyres and guards. Comes in well under your budget too, at £545 list (budget £25 ish for the guards.

Top Bottom